Pod Your Reef

brown corals...

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

Are there any corals available in the hobby that are naturally muted beige/bronzes but are also ok in high light? I always seem to end up with a lot of bright greens and reds in things like pavona and montis and lilacs and creams in toadstools, cloves etc. Just looking to mix things up a bit. I know it's possible to 'brown' some species by making them endure overly high light so they get algaed but I'm looking for corals that are in their natural state more muted hues. If they exist.

Please don't suggest any really aggressive corals. 

ryans.salty.crew

Go with a leather! Tons of leather corals come in that dull color state, plus you can pick if you want them to flow and sway or be stagnant.

Another plus is that most zoas and leathers enjoy the same "dirty" water too!

I'm bias, I love leathers

• Agree 1
mcarroll

...unless you were talking about stony corals....in which case Porites is one I've seen in that "yellow-tan" color.  And AFAIK it's a high-light coral too, although not that easy to keep...especially with softies. (stonies vs softies).

InAtTheDeepEnd
17 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

...unless you were talking about stony corals....in which case Porites is one I've seen in that "yellow-tan" color.  And AFAIK it's a high-light coral too, although not that easy to keep...especially with softies. (stonies vs softies).

I like sps and softies. 

How do porites do with nutrient rich water? po4 about 0.05, no3 about 15-25

mcarroll

The ones I'm talking about, probably not great.   There are more popular Porites out there you might try first to see if they can tolerate the light you have in store for them.

Sprinter70

I have an ORA yellow branching porites in a 2.5gallon tank with nitrate of around 25-40ppm and phosphate between 0.1-0.2ppm. Added in December and starting to grow now. Definitely a more muted color but some say it can fluoresce green under super blue light, but this has not happened to mine and has stayed a light and muted yellow.

• Like 1