Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Build (after some time off)

Lugmos12

Lugmos12

So I am back in the hobby after taking some time off.

Realized that impulsivity with tanks led to some poor choices (I was running two saltwater tanks and 1 freshwater tank). And it was too much, all at once.

But it's all experience. So I want to start a (permanent) nano, something around 14 gallons just for a pair of clowns and (maybe) bubbletip anemones.

I had a Fluval Evo 13.5 a few years ago; but it was a PIA to clean.

The Nuvo 20 wide was too constricting.

so I'm undecided between the Nuvo 20 peninsula or another 14-ish gallon AIO.

I'll update this as it comes along!

• Like 3

looking forward to seeing what you set up.  I am 7 months back from a 12 year break.  I fought the urge so many times over the past several months to upgrade to a larger system.  I am super content with my 24gal AIO and just enjoying taking my time.  I go to a bunch of local shops and just treat this as a fun hobby.  Having a smaller system allows me to spend on some good equipment and products without totally breaking the bank.  

• Like 1
Lugmos12

Update!

I found a used deal I couldn't pass up: 25 Waterbox peninsula with stand, AI Prime for light, Nero 3 for wavemaker, heater, pump, screened lid, auto feeder, and a bunch of other goodies. It's set up now and cycling.

I added Fritz turbo start and a piece of shrimp as 'food' for the bacteria.

• Like 1
Lugmos12
10 hours ago, boscoT said:

looking forward to seeing what you set up.  I am 7 months back from a 12 year break.  I fought the urge so many times over the past several months to upgrade to a larger system.  I am super content with my 24gal AIO and just enjoying taking my time.  I go to a bunch of local shops and just treat this as a fun hobby.  Having a smaller system allows me to spend on some good equipment and products without totally breaking the bank.  

I got to carried away upgrading to bigger tanks. My last setup was around 60 gallons total and I was never happy with it lol (it crashed after the ATO stopped working while I was on vacation) So I'm sticking to a small tank bc the size is going to limit what I do and I can just focus on appreciating it instead of changing it over and over again.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

I got to carried away upgrading to bigger tanks. My last setup was around 60 gallons total and I was never happy with it lol (it crashed after the ATO stopped working while I was on vacation) So I'm sticking to a small tank bc the size is going to limit what I do and I can just focus on appreciating it instead of changing it over and over again.

100%

I read somewhere that the average aquarium enthusiast lasts about 2 years before getting bored frustrated or moving on. Keep it simple, automate as much as you can to not make it a chore more than a hobby. Keeping it smaller for me allows me better equipment and just less worry about leaving it for a few days if I go away etc.  

• Like 1
Lugmos12

cycle is going well. second picture is after adding Dr. Tim's ammonia. will test again in 24hrs to see if it reduced to zero and then water change. will add a pair of clowns most likely.

IMG_9881.JPG

IMG_9883.JPG