SaltCritters.com

Is this Montipora healthy?

daniejd

daniejd

20240305_123657.thumb.jpg.345bd6ebfc22aec18478a00df332d234.jpg

Apologies for the terrible image. But when the Montipora on the right was given to me he appeared somewhat bleached (white patches larger than what I would expect from growth tips). I turned down the lights and he seemed to be doing well (the Stylopora to the left is growing quite a bit). But here is my concern, the white patches have turned purple (you can see it at top of the Monti in the photo). Is this normal? (First sps in a tank so not really familiar).

mcarroll
15 hours ago, daniejd said:

But here is my concern, the white patches have turned purple (you can see it at top of the Monti in the photo). Is this normal? (First sps in a tank so not really familiar).

It looks pretty nice in the photo!

It might be helpful for diagnosis if you could post a photo with just daylights on, or maybe with flash.

In the meantime, what do you think the patches you're talking to are covered in?

If you think it's coral tissue, then I'd say A-OK that it's just adapting to your tank.  

If it's coralline algae, then also A-OK.

But if you think it might be cyano, then we might wonder about water parameters and other things.  If you think that's the case, then post any water test results you have.  👍 I'd *gently* keep the cyano off those patches to avoid irritating the still-living tissue around the cyano......IF it's cyano and not the other things mentioned. 😉 👍