ReefCleaners.org

DIY Light Hood

fishfreek2

I think that I would be wise to use a sheet of acrylic, only because it looks as if you're not using rubber end caps on your bulb. I have a Jali hood that is similar to what you have only smaller, and It has a plastic sheet to protect it. Trust me, it works. Once in awhile i'll have to wipe off the excess salt that creeps up there. Good luck.

I got these lights from Hellolights.com. where can I get rubber end caps? The only place that I could put a piece of acrylic is right down on top of the tank. I think this would not allow for enough air exchange. Do you think that the plex needs to be sealed to the edges or would it just be for a splash guard.

Thanks

I checked out those encaps. They do not fit my 13watt bulbs. I wonder if putting sylicon on the pins of the bulbs that maybe it would seel it off and I would still be able to remove the light when they need replacing.

Again, Thanks. It is all useful.

I've seen threads that have talked about using silicone on the connectors of NO endcaps (normal endcaps - no waterproof)

The post were from people that were electricians so I guess they knew what they are talking about. They said it shouldn't be a problem. If I was going to use silicone , I'd still make sure it was aquarium safe. If I could somehow swap out to another light over the tank, and test the silicone sealed light to see if it was going to fail somewhere else than over the tank, I'd feel better. (whew ! was that a run on sentence or what ? ! :D )

I use a acrylic sheet over my 10g it sits roughly 3" above the water and in 3 months I've wiped salt creep from it once. It has also hazed a bit and cuts down on the light. However the acrylic sheet allows me to keep a firefish or someother jumper later on - If I choose. It also has a 3 '' x 4'' hole for feeding and a 4" x 5" cover for it (just incase i need it for a jumper)

Good luck !

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, I some how got onto a different thread, one about reflectors. Regardless, There has to be a good way to waterproof my not waterproof end caps. Im tempted to just let it go and see what happens. I am going to fill it up hopfully Monday. Fingers Crossed!

Archived