Pod Your Reef

UNS 30A (DUAL) AIO Inspiration

Bens Pico Reefing

Bens Pico Reefing

While this tank has been running 2 weeks already and posted elsewhere, I wanted to share this experience and inspiration. This story below is a copy paste with some edits. I wanted to keep my initial thoughts in tact and a seperate post later explaining any changes or differences from the plan.

This isnt going to be just a tank build. This is going to be a build to what has inspired me and the fascination I have. It is about showing my minimalist side and what I have learned and practiced.

I woke up one morning to something nobody wants to see. My half gallon tank had crashed. I was already busy getting ready for work making sure not to disturb my sick wife, unsuccesfully. I had the dogs to let out as well. My mind could only think of the heater I added and spliced wires to fit through hole in lid. Did I pull to hard adjusting? Was it a bad heater? Should I have heated the water first? did I not connect well? This was on my mind all day as well as my wife. She was having to nanny as the lady she is working for would not be able to watch. Also feeling better but fighting multiple health issues and brain fog, this was over whelming.

I decided to test the water I had picked up when I got home. It was freshwater. I was dumbfounded. Did I grab the wrong water, were they making a batch and in the process of filling and adding salt? It didnt matter. I was more concerned in case it was something that happened to their tanks or others. Things happen and need to just keep moving forward.

I no longer had inspiration. I wanted another tank setup but just didnt know and wasnt even sure about setting up another. It is already hard enough due to health. Do I want to keep up with another setup? I had some ideas and things looking online but nothing really set with me.

I dont know when I got into picos but always had them.  I found them easier to care for than larger tanks I had and easier on the budget.  I had success but things would happen. Some by me others by nature or other people.

I was thinking about my favorite coral, the elegance coral. But what got me interested? It goes back to a tank called Eco Reef Zero by Jake Adams. https://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/29/ecoreef-zero-population-1/

This is when I fell in love with elegance and the way it was displayed. The disc designs with long reaching tentacles and flow. Then later I found out there were some crazy colors.  It took me a long time to learn how to care for and ugly phases they can go through adapting. They dont like direct shade. I had many lose tentacles and retract. I also learned they dont like detritus. I could always tell when I had a build up in my barebottom 5 gallon I had. I also had some killed buy gull crabs and recovered a few from what was called elegance coral disease. It was a very steep learning curve and lost a few in the process but learned and continued to love them.

as I began to learn more about filtration through research, I realized I needed less equipment till it was just lights, tank and air pump or wavemaker. I tried to do an air pump in a square tank but the movemeent wasnt right and needed current. This was mentioned to me to switch by the owner of Maritza the reef vase. This was also an inspiring tank and why I loved cylinder tanks. 

This build I want to really keep simple and follow what I have learned and enjoyed. Im still thinking but think I have settled.

UNS 30A (Dual) AIO

https://buceplant.com/products/uns-30a-7-gallon-dual-aio-rimless-aquarium?currency=USD&variant=42844849176776&stkn=877202f1700b

flush fit lid

https://buceplant.com/products/uns-dual-aio-rimless-tank-glass-lids?variant=42886327533768

AI Prime HD

This I already have and will continue to use for now.

No rock work except what coral is attached to or what will be needed to have it stay in place. I may add one bio ball in back chamber.

I plan on getting another elegance but would also like to add possibly a bubble coral and/or another kind of coral if possible, or multiple elegances lol. I might add a sexy shrimp or 2 or something unique that wont really add bioload. Maybe just leave it as corals only.

This is my current inspiration, again from Jake Adams who inspired many people and did some amazing things.

[MEDIA=youtube]HjSgwBEJFr0[/MEDIA

I am still processing the idea but this seems to be the direction and have a vision.

Current Setup:

Tank: UNS 30A (Dual) AIO with lid

Tank Addon: UNS filter sock

Heat: Inkbird ITC-306T+ Aquarium Probe with Hitop 50w heater

Light: AI Prime HD

Initial Setup:

Elegance coral and water were added at same time to tank. No testing except for salinity. No bacteria added except what was on coral. No live rock in back sump area.

Maintenance:

weekly 100 percent water changes. Glass cleaning as needed. Feed benepets powder after water change and feed pellets 2 days before water change.

Live Stock:

Elegance coral

Frogspawn coral

Pederson Shrimp

Dragons Breath Macro Algae

Ill add pics here soon as I can. For some reason I can not attach from phone at the moment. 

IMG_20240311_171102[1].jpg

Screenshot_2024-03-11-10-04-06-73_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6[1].jpg

• Like 1
Bens Pico Reefing

I ended up adding Pederson shrimp to the tank. These were the shrimp I wanted to have and my LFS just so happened to have them in. I was actually looking at a strawberry crab but decided not a good idea as I didnt want the adding feeding of nori. as I was about to pay for water and leave, I noticed the shrimp. I purchased one but when I decided next day to go back and get 1 or 2 more, they were gone.  I ended up also adding the coral skeleton which worked like a charm for the shrimp to hang around on and seems to appreciate.  These usually will be hosted by corkscrew anemones but are not required. I am currently waiting for more to come in for me.

The other addition is the Dragons breath algae. I had found this in a left-over jar from prior build that I switched to a different jar, then ended up taking an accidental RO/DI dip overnight. there was a mix up with the water.  I was wondering how a macro algae might do in my tank since nutrients tend to be lower. this piece had actually grown in a sealed jar with just a few centimeters of water. I left a small piece and put the lid back on this as well to see how it does. 

This tank has been doing well so far.

IMG_20240311_1726211.thumb.jpg.86990bd881aa61a576595b76b15b5e01.jpgIMG_20240311_1726411.thumb.jpg.dd5879eb486dcce7acf7bdecb5654e85.jpgIMG_20240311_1711021.thumb.jpg.bddfc0f3d05db046fd095f56537b0be3.jpg

• Like 1
Bens Pico Reefing

Sorry for the delay, I am finally getting around to doing some things.  Currently one of our dogs has had knee surgery and is in need of constant watching. Forum and my phone are unable to upload pictures as well.  Was able to provide some pics and updates.