inTank Media Baskets

Valentini vs Blue Spotted Puffer

tdannhauser30

tdannhauser30

Can anyone explain to me why the requirements of a Blue Spotted are generally a 50 gallon compared to a Valentini at 30? Through my research, it seems that they are almost identical fish, just different patterns. I would love a blue spotted but don't want to stress or abuse one for my benefit.

• tdannhauser30 changed the title to Valentini vs Blue Spotted Puffer
mcarroll

Probably has to do with personality – sometimes that's the main difference between species.

tdannhauser30

11 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Probably has to do with personality – sometimes that's the main difference between species.

Hmm ok. The personalities sound quite identical between the two reading descriptions online. That being said, I do understand only so much trust can be put into short overviews of fish on the Internet. I guess I was hoping someone would chime in and say they are very similar and ease my moral dilemma....wishful thinking.

appreciate the response mcarroll.

• Like 1
mcarroll

I haven't really read up on what they are like in the wild yet....that might be interesting, if you haven't already done that.

tdannhauser30
3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I haven't really read up on what they are like in the wild yet....that might be interesting, if you haven't already done that.

Please send a link if you find anything about blue spotted puffers in the wild. From my (brief) research, I have not found much of anything. Have found they are of least concern to be endangered, don't breed in captivity, and other not helpful tidbits. I was able to find a bit of info about Valentini puffers in the wild, but again not very helpful lol. 

mcarroll

Hm...

From a quick Google....try this.  Not a lot appeared directly on the topic....that talks around it (about this fish's group), but in some interesting ways.

tdannhauser30

...just reading the abstract brought back PTSD from college, thanks mcarroll. No, in all seriousness thank you, hard to find any info. Not a commonly researched fish. Incredible how deep they are found, I had no idea.

• Haha 1
mcarroll

Well, I saw plenty of research that includes them, but A LOT of it relates to production of (useful?) toxins OR their inclusion in palatability tests of different organisms (eg sponges).  🤷‍♂️