Innovative Marine Aquariums

New 12g Eclipse 130??? hot or not?

trungtdn

Hi all...

Don't know if this is in the right forum or not, but what do you guys think of a 12g Eclipse Salt water acrylic tank for $130- is this a good price? Does anyone know if this is a good tank or not?

thanks

What does it come with?...By itself the tank should be around $100. List the things that come with the tank. And by the way the Eclipse 12 makes an ok nano reef tank. The JBJ nanocube makes a much better nano because you can make changes in the lights, filter, ect. I have a 12 gallon nano and i need a skimmer, and better lights, but i am sort of stuck because the retros are comlicated to install, and i would need to cut into the hood.

it's just the basic 12g salt water aquarium. At petco they're having a sale on this for $130. This would be my first salt water tank ever.... FOr the Nano cube dx that i've heard so much about, where can i buy this and how much will it be for the complete set up?

Thank you

You might want to read some of the threads on the nano-cube before you buy one. There are several on this forum just do a search. I had thought about getting one for my nephew but have had second thoughts. I however have not ruled it out.

is this the acrylic bowfront, or is it the glass one? i previously had the bowfront 12, and i got it on sale at petsmart for $89, but it normally costs $99. but if they're asking for $130, i assume that it's the glass show tank. one thing that you might want to consider between the eclipse and the nano cube is the fact that the nanocube might claim that it's 12 gallons, but it's actually only about 8 gallons. it's a lot smaller than an eclipse also. even though the eclipse12 needs some modifications to become a real reef tank, they can be quite rewarding. the lighting modifications aren't as hard as some people make them out to be.

the NANOCUBE DELUXE is a much much better compact tank than any of its competitors. it cost 150. w/ free shipping from petsolutions.com if you mention reefcentral. i have 2 of them already. if its your first tank its more than sufficient for your needs.

and you DO NOT need to modify it unless your into hard corals/clams . etc. but as a beginner this would not be wise to start with. so i highly recommend it and i think majority of established reefers would recommend it also over other compact tanks. nothing is perfect but the nanocube is as good as there is out in the market now.

"even though the eclipse12 needs some modifications to become a real reef tank"

i completely disagree with this statement. i have two full reefs and many many many others have full reefs in there tanks w/o modifications, if you understand water chemistry & common sense concerning nano inhabitants.

an eclipse12 with stock lighting is good for a fish-only setup. you might be able to get away with some shrooms and other low light softies. but most people, including beginners, want a lot more that just that. not only that, a lot of these corals will just turn a dull brown under such low light conditions. common sense tells me that even though they could survive such minimal lighting, it would be wisest to go with the best lighting possible..... thx

• 2 weeks later...

The 12 gallonflat back hex is all around the best if you have the money. It's $180 with drop filtrion connected on the back (included). But you get alot of room to add proteim skimmers and and extra filters, all the light you want, and it just looks better then the nano cube it looks like a box.

I just ordered mine with a 96 watt quad lighting.

If you don't have the money the nano cude delux is better.

$150 with 2-24 watt lights. don't get the regular one you will be sorry it is not going to have enough lighting.

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/quarantn.htm

save your money and just buy a 10-18gal glass tank for dirt cheap and the buy the coralife 20" 96w powerquad. takes care of your lighting upgrades for about the same price.

i agree with getting a AGA tank and then a good light, i had a nano cueb but i sold it and got a 20L becsuse i like the extra room for fish and corals and the fact that for 250 i bought a complete 150 watt MH pendant and everything and i can have a clam sps i can have pretty much anything.

10G $10

96 watt power quad $88

ac 500 $34

skimmer for filter intake $10

TOTAL: 142

with this you can have little mess with cords and what not and you gt everything that you would get with a nano-cube DX with more light and more room for stuff, you can get a 20 gallon and get a 130 watt PC hood for 130 and thn have a lot more room

hope that helps

say truntdtn buys the nanocube...what happens when he gets bit by the upgrade bug? what's he going to be able to do to his cube?....maybe add another 24w bulb?....or is he not going to be able to upgrade without buying a new tank?...

with an acrylic, and i use that term loosely :D, eclipse 12 you can upgrade like you have a regular all glass tank. over mine right now, WITH the stock hood, i have a 96w powerquad retro AND a 70w de mh. not to mention the cpr bakpak2r skimmer, the ac200 and a couple rios for more water movement.

i would say an eclipse 12 looks 'sharper' than a nanocube anyday. the nanocube is like the red-headed stepchild of the all in one systems. =)

Archived