inTank Media Baskets

Anyone ever had light mount break tank glass?

tdannhauser30

tdannhauser30

(Skip to bottom line  for short version)

My new light arrived and the mount is a little precarious. The mount extends a bit farther out than I'd like to give the display good light without flooding the back chambers in an attempt to avoid algae growing in them. This extra length is putting quite a bit of leverage on small area of glass where the mount connects. My anxiety immediately has begun to focus on the possibility of breaking the glass. On top of this, I noticed the back panel of glass is noticeably thinner than the front three. I believe the tank was advertised as 6mm, so I'd imagine the back is maybe 4?

Has anyone ever had a light mount break their tank glass?

tdannhauser30
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Dunno what light, but two mounts might be called for instead of just one to support the weight

Went cheap and replaced my nanobox duo w a noopsyche k7v3.its a somewhat heavy light, especially with the  arm extension to hold it farther out over the tank. Two mound is not possible. As much as I have come to like this light, a single very small screw holds the light to the mounting arm. Very precarious

I think I will just go with it and pray for the best. Hanging the light is unfortunately not a possibility. I don't find much on the web for light mounts breaking tanks so hopefully will be ok...

image.png.6164e0a2b25bad9d93ba4e98bc0f0246.png

They do offer a few different hanging kits – which you don't HAVE to run all the way to your ceiling.  

You can DIY some supports onto the back of your tank's stand, or any other option you can cook up.

Just a thought!

tdannhauser30

Appreciate everyone's response, Although you guys aren't putting my mind at ease... I emailed landen aquariums with a picture of my tank and light and they assured me that the tank is designed to hold these types of accessories.. I just hate how small the mounts are on lights where they attach to the tank. It seems to ask for trouble.. I will probably add some sort of piece of wood or some sort of rigid material between the tank and glass to try and distribute the load across a wider area. Again thank you for everyone's response, even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear lol IMG_20240218_143356432.thumb.jpg.242fd219e901eff4e464605448256fd2.jpg

tdannhauser30
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

image.png.6164e0a2b25bad9d93ba4e98bc0f0246.png

They do offer a few different hanging kits – which you don't HAVE to run all the way to your ceiling.  

You can DIY some supports onto the back of your tank's stand, or any other option you can cook up.

Thanks for the idea.i am quite ill equipped and intimidated by DIY projects though... I know I need to work on that lol.

6 hours ago, tdannhauser30 said:

Thanks for the idea.i am quite ill equipped and intimidated by DIY projects though... I know I need to work on that lol.

Check out some DIY's that other folks have done for starters – no tools required for that!  🙂😉 

First photo that popped up on a search for me (tho this is Kessil's Extension Mount) is essentially like of one of the simplest DIY's...there are even KITS like this out there to make it easier for non-DIY folks!  🙂 Food for thought!  🤔

image.png.1ea6a0579c590d47b79124219d8c1ee1.pngimage.thumb.png.96a211fe5d63db66a159b2a72be3d500.png

tdannhauser30

Lol. Thank you, I never even thought of a mount going to the stand, not the tank... That's what I get for not considering it.. my stand is solid as a rock, could park a car on it. Going to do some googling, talk to my brother (he got the handyman genes, and see what he think.  Thanks for the gentle nudge out of the comfort zone mcarroll

You're underestimating the strength of 6mm glass and the back pane is not thinner than the rest. 

From the photo you posted I'm guessing it's the Landen 60P 26.3 gallon. That's a very well designed, well built tank. You could put a pair those lights on the back pane without issue.

Landen, UNS, Redsea, Waterbox and a number of other brands are all made in China with the same low lead glass. Often in the same factory.

They've got this down. There are thousands of tanks worldwide and when have you read about a tank failing from torsional flex induced by a light ?

A seam failure on a Redsea tank, yeah that's happened but the failure was the seal and not the glass.

tdannhauser30
2 hours ago, KC2020 said:

You're underestimating the strength of 6mm glass and the back pane is not thinner than the rest. 

From the photo you posted I'm guessing it's the Landen 60P 26.3 gallon. That's a very well designed, well built tank. You could put a pair those lights on the back pane without issue.

Landen, UNS, Redsea, Waterbox and a number of other brands are all made in China with the same low lead glass. Often in the same factory.

They've got this down. There are thousands of tanks worldwide and when have you read about a tank failing from torsional flex induced by a light ?

A seam failure on a Redsea tank, yeah that's happened but the failure was the seal and not the glass.

See that's another thing that confuses me! When I bought this tank it was labeled as a 28.5 or something like that. This was probably 2 or 3 years ago. Now they have changed it to 26.5 and it looks like the overflow intake is on the opposite side now. I'm not sure if they are the same tank or not.

The back panels are 100% thinner than the front three panels. I can snap some pics this weekend as the tank is still at my parents for now. I would guess maybe 2mm thinner. That being said I agree with you, I have never heard of anyone's light breaking the tank. But anxiety will make you fret about the darndest of things! I just wanted to see if anyone had any horror stories. Glad I didn't hear any.

I appreciate your kind words about the brand. When I bought I assumed it was risky cheap Chinese garbage.Nice to hear something good about it.