SaltCritters.com

is this stand a bad idea?

peytron

I'm thinking about using this chest as a stand for a Fluval Evo 13.5.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/union-rustic-westphal-3-drawer-accent-chest-w006882194.html

The description says it holds 200 lbs, but the tank + water should be half that. Since the tank will be covered, water/salt creep should be less than normal as well. However, I'm not sure if the legs look stable enough for the long-term.

Good idea or bad idea? Asking because I already have this chest and like the look of it. 

colormegone

I'm looking around for a table/stand for my Lifegard 8.3. The legs on your chest would make me nervous since they are at an angle. Not sure about that part?

natalia_la_loca

looks really nice! Given that you have it in your possession and you’re feeling doubts about the legs being strong enough, I would lean against it.

Also, cover or no, your tank will probably ruin that finish.

I like the idea of keeping a 100% margin for error on the weight capacity – ie. 100 pound tank on a 200 pound stand.

But...

The 200 pound rating would have to account for everything you store in the three drawers, not just the tank up on top.

Also, a 13.5 gallon tank would be closer to 120 pounds (not 100)...and that's JUST WATER.  

If the tank itself weighs 20 pounds and you add 10 pounds of live rock and 10 pounds of equipment, then you're up to (120 + 20 + 10 + 10 + 5 = ) 165 pounds.

165 pounds is significantly closer to your limit than you were thinking.  Maybe still OK, but there's a good reason folks buy or build dedicated fish tank stands....you have to account for a lot of variables (or make LOTS of assumptions) when you repurpose another piece of furniture.

All things considered, if you want to keep your margin for error I think there would have to be a better cabinet choice out there (eg. something rated for 300-400 pounds, a dedicated fish stand, DIY, et al.) OR you might want to consider a smaller tank if this cabinet is what you're going with.