Cultivated Reef

Question regarding trace elements and crustaceans ability to properly molt

jambon

Long story short version. I have a 32 gallon biocube which I have become a little lax on maintenance.  I am looking for some advice on any trace elements to replace what has been used up. An example is my coral banded shrimp is not able to properly molt. The last one it lost a few of its legs and one of its large claws. I did read at one point that iodine plays a roll, so I dosed 1 drop of lugols solution. I am waiting to see the results. 

Any other ideas out there.. I am looking for some advice. Thanks.

Staticmoves

Trace element replenish with quality salt and regular water changes.

Do you have coral, if so what kind, and if stony what if anything are you dosing.

something like “All For Reef” has some trace elements as far as dosing for Stoney corals.

Hi static.. I do have soft corals in the setup so in my opinion I am not taxing the alk. Or calcium levels. 

I am by no means an expert reef keeper but I have been an amateur for maybe 20 yrs. On and off. I prefer to tackle problems as they come up as I don't have a lot of time for preventative measures.

I am not sure if any products (trace element additives )cover overly busy hobbyists?I do study the stuff before I dump anything into my system.

At the moment I dont know what is available to look into, or should I go by the reef keeping book?

Thanks again

Staticmoves
1 minute ago, jambon said:

Hi static.. I do have soft corals in the setup so in my opinion I am not taxing the alk. Or calcium levels. 

I am by no means an expert reef keeper but I have been an amateur for maybe 20 yrs. On and off. I prefer to tackle problems as they come up as I don't have a lot of time for preventative measures.

I am not sure if any products (trace element additives )cover overly busy hobbyists?I do study the stuff before I dump anything into my system.

At the moment I dont know what is available to look into, or should I go by the reef keeping book?

Thanks again

in your instance, my opinion would be weekly water changes. and iodine dose as per instructions couldn't hurt, as many do it.

I myself, just do water changes. but then again I usually have stoney corals and are also dosing.

It would be interesting to know if any of your softies are giving off any toxins causing interference with your shrimps molting.

Well not sure of the softies giving off toxins. I try not to piss off my zoas.

Over the past 6 months I have tried 2 methods.. 

First method was 10-15% weekly water change.

Second method was to do nothing, except maintain salinity, clean filter pads, regular daily stuff.

Honestly... 3 months of each and the end results, the tank looked the same . So where I am now is looking to add trace elements as needed. Call it an experiment. I am considering a clam btw. To help use up some dissolved nutrients. The tank system is maybe 4- 5 years old. I do have a nasty looking  cyano problem. It started slowly and I intend to reverse it slowly on a side note. I do know something is out of whack, so maybe I should spend a few bucks on a test kit. 

• Agree 1

@Staticmoves

I have mostly focused on fowlr systems. Fyi my quarenteen tank a biocube 16. Same lighting and programmed identical has a flourishing coral assortment. 

Large colony of war coral

Colony of polkaroo lepanthes (sp.) ?

3 types of zoas.

It is flourishing under the same care.

Not that I agree with my methods.. I am just a little busy with life. 

I must ask.. in your opinion would a good alk. Test kit be more beneficial than a calcium kit? It does effect the ph. Which is quite important for the big picture and the balance.

Your opinion matters.

1 minute ago, jambon said:

@Staticmoves

I have mostly focused on fowlr systems. Fyi my quarenteen tank a biocube 16. Same lighting and programmed identical has a flourishing coral assortment. 

Large colony of war coral

Colony of polkaroo lepanthes (sp.) ?

3 types of zoas.

It is flourishing under the same care.

Not that I agree with my methods.. I am just a little busy with life. 

I must ask.. in your opinion would a good alk. Test kit be more beneficial than a calcium kit? It does effect the ph. Which is quite important for the big picture and the balance.

Your opinion matters.

Check out my post under goby pistol shrimp eye candy to see the tank in action.