Pod Your Reef

ATO Gravity fed connect to Dosing pump - Syphon risk management

Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

Hello,
First time in my life, I finally have a reservoir that is higher than my tank, so I can say bye to the Electronic ATO that keeps failing on me. I'm planning to install a Float valve instead.

I use a Calcium Hydroxide Stirrer that needs to be fed fresh water, right now it's taking water from a container that is relatively the same level height or below the lime water cylinder with my dosing pump. I want to remove this container and connect everything with my big reservoir.

What if, I connect a line directly to the dosing pump? The problem is the constant siphon. The dosing pump itself blocks the tubing which would prevent the constant leak (fully? hmm) but it's not completely safe, there are many risks of failure in this setup. (Would use a valve in case of an accident)

Another option is to connect higher than water and use a break siphon for the dosing pump once it stops.

But I have never done this before and I was wondering if anyone had experience with a Gravity fed dosing pump setup.

image.thumb.jpeg.06e79e818d68e94e23106220d722b368.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.53d50e98e8d7cbb2d587b21fc632f684.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1db0c1c90f52af2c4beebce568c8f1f9.jpeg

IMO you need to use a high quality pump that will not "leak" flow.  Better makes will not, but most peristaltic pumps by their nature "probably won't".   FYI, even the cheapie Jerboas are "OK" at this, but in your case, I would "step up" if you have the budget.  If published, be mindful of the pumps head rating and you should be fine.

Check valves are MORE failure prone than the pump in terms of stopping "leaking" so be serious about the pump selection....but as long as you aren't SOLEY dependent on one, a check valve is a smart, low-cost secondary backup.  IMO plan to replace, or at least test it, on a regular basis (ie during refills).  IMO install the check valve in the reservoir rather than on the aquarium side so that the valve never dries out.  

• Like 1
geekreef_05

A good dosing pump will work. I use alot of kamoer dosing pumps. I would not have a concern that backflow will occur. 

I know they dont backflow when they stop, cause my calc lines use to freeze alot, if i didnt mix them 2:1.

If there was backflow, the line would empty (like a typical ato) and it would not seize up or do so way less often. 

Hope that helps!.

• Like 2