Top Shelf Aquatics

Light upgrade thoughts 26x12x12 (Rhets 20gal)

Rhetoric

Thinking about upgrading my light for better edge to edge coverage and less shadows. 

Currently running an AI16 over the IM 20gallon Peninsula approximately 26x12x12 mixed reef (the tank is 33 but display is 26)  I feel like the AI16 creates a lot of very hard shadows and doesn't give edge to edge coverage. 

I'm running a true mix reef sps up high with soft and lps low and on the sides.

I'm leaning towards a radion XR15 pro.  I think it would cut the shadows down due to the larger spread out LED design.  

I'd like to hear others thoughts on the best way to cover edge to edge with less shadows.  Or people's options on the XR15 (or any other light)

Do you think it's the right upgrade? will it cover edge to edge? Will it limit shadowing?

20240127_105356.thumb.jpg.fac1345db268c5a732509d0f421f9f47.jpg

I was going to post this on my journal but hoping to get a little conversation going. 

Wake up Nano Reef! 😀

The Rainy Day Aquarium

I don’t think an XR15 would be a bad choice? I’d be inclined to go with something like a 24” ATI Sunpower fixture. But of course you’d have to worry about swapping bulbs when they go bad. Maybe even a few AI blades or install one or two more prime 16s over your tank.

2 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

Thinking about upgrading my light for better edge to edge coverage and less shadows. 

That means switching to light bars OR adding more pucks.

I feel like the AI16 creates a lot of very hard shadows and doesn't give edge to edge coverage. 

That kind of setup is for maximum shimmer, maximum dramatic effect...and that implicitly means hard shadows.

XR15 pro.

Same kind of light.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on the best way to cover edge to edge with less shadows.  Or people's options on the XR15 (or any other light)

Do you think it's the right upgrade? will it cover edge to edge? Will it limit shadowing?

If you can imagine how you'd mount them, a second AI16 would be logical – maybe a third as well, depending on the budget you have ready.   Each light would cut shadows intensity more or less proportionately.  So a second light cuts shadows by half, etc.

Using LED strips would seem to be a simpler solution though, and pretty ideal for your corals.  But you will lose almost all of the tank's shimmer...it might look a little dead compared to now.  Whether that is a big deal or even matters is up to you.  👍

Adding one or two LED strips to your AI16 might be a good compromise.

• Like 1