inTank Media Baskets

Bluefish Mini Gen2 wireless stability issue

SavageAF

I have had the Bluefish Mini Gen2 controller running my custom StevesLEDs since about 2019 in a BioCube 14. I had no issues with my original Blinkup configuration on my previous wireless networks. I used an AT&T router as the access point originally. Then I switched to Cisco Meraki access points and most recently I converted to Ubiquiti UniFi U6 Pros. I used to have it installed on the same network and SSID as everything else in my house. Then I decided to segment and move all my IoT devices to a separate network using a different SSID. I went through the blinkup process at least 2 and a half years ago. Things seemed to be working fine at least for awhile. Eventually my Bluefish started this weird disconnect/reconnect behavior every 2-4 minutes. It is like the controller goes into a low power sleep state that my access points only marginally support or have issues with. So I went through an entire process to tune my Ubiquiti wireless settings to best practices for IoT device support. I disabled all the new advanced features and used the least noisiest channels etc. I thought things were finally resolved. Sometimes it is stable for weeks and even months and other times it falls back into this continuous disconnect/reconnect pattern. Every time it disconnects my lights go out for about 10-15 seconds. It is frustrating me to no end. I’ve gone and read up on the iMP chipset trying to figure out what might be wrong or be having issues. I have scoured Ubiquiti forums and blog articles and still not finding anything concrete. Once I had things stable previously I was extremely hesitant to upgrade my firmware on my access points. I finally upgraded a couple months ago to 6.5.62 and amazingly things seemed to be ok. Flash forward to the past couple days and all of a sudden I’m back in this disconnect pattern. I rebooted my access point and I’ve pulled the plug on my controller and waited 10 seconds to reboot. I’m still seeing the issue. Just wondering if anyone else has faced similar behavior and if anyone figured out what might be the root issue and if there is a fix? I appreciate any feedback or advice anyone has to offer. Thanks!

Edit: I don’t have this disconnect issue with any other IoT devices using the same 2.4GHz network and channels and access points on the same firmware version. 
I work in technology and have been a network engineer and architect for over 28 years. I have my name on plenty of Bug IDs at Cisco, Meraki, F5, BlueCoat, and now Ubiquiti. So I know far too much about this stuff for my own good. For whatever reason I just can’t seem to get to the bottom of this one no matter how much I dig. 😑

I'm sure you know a lot more about it than most of us; so just throwing some random ideas out there:

• If you have any of the old hardware, maybe use that just for the Bluefish controller.
  • I might try switching this one device back to your main SSID, even just as a troubleshooting step.
  • It almost sounds like a signal strength issue; any chance of moving your access point to test it out?
  • 2 months later...
armebos

Although you’ve updated to firmware version 6.5.62, it’s worth checking the Ubiquiti forums and Reddit for any known issues with this version that others have experienced. Sometimes, new firmware can introduce unexpected behaviors. Check if there are any specific power-saving settings on the UniFi U6 Pros that might be causing the controller to enter a low-power state. It’s possible that even with best practices for IoT devices, certain settings might still cause intermittent connectivity issues. ProCADIS CAD software discounts. If you haven’t already, review the logs from the Bluefish controller around the time of the disconnects to see if there are any patterns or error messages that could give clues. Ensure that the network stability is consistent across all devices. Even though other IoT devices don’t show the same disconnect issue, it’s possible they handle intermittent connectivity better than the Bluefish controller.