Top Shelf Aquatics

Weir Box with Canister Filter?

Nathans_Reef

Nathans_Reef

If I were to make a weir box and silicone it into the corner of my (Undrilled) tank, and placed the canister filter intake in that weir box, would that work? The reason for the weir box would be to hide unsightly equipment and also to act as a big surface skimmer. First question is when the tank evaporates, Is it correct that the water level will only change inside the weir? due to the tank being constantly "overfilled" into the weir box from the filter. And in terms of determining the water level in the rest of the tank, am I right in thinking that if I used a detachable weir comb, I could raise it or lower it to change the height of the water level in the display? 

86EF5C46-D556-48E8-81E3-16F1B07B94A5.thumb.jpeg.4d45c4e50ebbb34bc2a3b1108f06cd8b.jpeg

This is the seperate Weir comb that i'll buy, I could tightly push a strip of sponge into the gap where it sits over the weir acrylic, to keep it in place and keep it adjustable rather than glueing it into place if that makes sense. 

5 hours ago, Nathans_Reef said:

If I were to make a weir box and silicone it into the corner of my (Undrilled) tank, and placed the canister filter intake in that weir box, would that work?

You're just powering a DIY all-in-one tank with a canister filter pump instead of a bare pump.  So functionally it would work (and your thinking is correct), but I think there would be problems AND I think you'd get better surface skimming for your canister with a simpler add-on like these:

image.png.cd87315a65f6e1bd1153472df2d84bd2.pngimage.png.a3cc3862b1e5a38ef2fc9befd313e507.png

...or a DIY version of same.

Also, most folks end up regretting the use of a canister filter on a reef.  I think you'd actually be better off building your weir wall, but skipping the canister and just making this a simple(r) all-in-one tank design that's powered by a pump behind the false wall, which is an excellent DIY all by itself.  👍

• Like 1