Cultivated Reef

Is my anenome ok?

Awrighttt

Awrighttt

Just bought this malu anenome 3 days ago. It’s been turning grey, some of its tentacles are starting to glow green (we usually have the blue led on 12 hours a day so I’m wondering if that’s why). It also keeps releasing stuff out of its mouth.  We’ve never owned a anenome so should I just take it out before it officially dies because I don’t want the toxins it’ll release to kill my fish or coral. 
Our nitrate is 0, nitrite 0.5, ph 8, kh 12

IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0845.jpeg

9 hours ago, Awrighttt said:

Our nitrate is 0, nitrite 0.5, ph 8, kh 12

You need to know what your PO4 is.  If it's matching your nitrates at 0.0 ppm (or close)__, then your anemone is in trouble.

How old is this tank?  Has it fully cycled?  Are you also testing for ammonia?   (The nitrite reading you posted makes me wonder if you have ammonia too.)

• Like 1
geekreef_05

Its doesn't seem fully happy from that photo. But it certainly doesnt seem like its about to die either. 

So...

Anemones poop from their mouths. That might be normal. They may also expel material to acclimatize themselves to the new tank. 

The change of colour may also be an adaptation response. 

My Advice is to feed it. If it eats your doing ok. Be patient. Give it lots of food and time and space.

Anemones are rather advanced creatures to keep well. Ensure your tank is "Anemone proof" and that your tank is stable. Do lots of research. 

Keep us posted on how this goes! 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Awrighttt

Thank you! Will do. I did a 10 gallon water change today and fed it. It seemed like it ate the little pieces of scallop I gave it, but even after feeding, it still has its mouth open on and off 

Awrighttt

@mcarroll it has been cycled, our tank is still fairly new. In hindsight we should have waited and done more research but our coral has been doing great so we thought it would be fine. Gonna test the PO4 and ammonia today 

• Like 1

Anems need a mature tank, or they can go south really fast.  

I would of not even considered one until i started seeing at least some coraline growing.  

And your tank looks too clean for it be cycled. 

Your rocks and sand are still pristine white, which to me means its no way near end of cycle. 

Typically a completed cycle will have very little to 0 white on any of the marco reef rocks.  

I would also keep testing ammonia.  

geekreef_05

Given how new your tanks looks..

i recommend, test everyday or, as much as possible.

Otherwise there's no way to know whats really happening in the water. 

Post your numbers here if you like. Then we can better help you. 

Salinity

Temp

pH

Ammonia 

Nitrate

Calc

Alk

Mg 

And yes. You should track all that stuff to keep an anemone successfully long term.

Hope that helps. 

• Agree 1
geekreef_05
On 1/24/2024 at 2:27 AM, Naekuh said:

Anems need a mature tank, or they can go south really fast.  

I would of not even considered one until i started seeing at least some coraline growing.  

And your tank looks too clean for it be cycled. 

Your rocks and sand are still pristine white, which to me means its no way near end of cycle. 

Typically a completed cycle will have very little to 0 white on any of the marco reef rocks.  

I would also keep testing ammonia.  

I think its important to reflect here if you're being helpful. 

Obviously the dude made a bad move. But was reaching out for help.

The only advice you actually gave was to test ammonia and no reason to back that up except assume that the tank isn't cycled, which doesnt always provide a brown bloom on the rocks.

All im saying is that people are here for help and not to be critized. 

Educate without personal bias. 

• Wow 1
InAtTheDeepEnd

brown on the rocks is (normally) diatoms and a normal part of the uglies as the tank reaches an equilibrium between the types of life present in the tank and the nutrients and light going in. But it relies on spores reaching the tank and having light and nutrient levels sufficient for them to grow so it's possible although not common not to get it in a new tank. Diatoms like silicates more than nitrates so I wouldn't say having 0 nitrates is a barrier to getting them but it's certainly possible. (and also most hobbyists don't routinely test for silicates anyway).

Hope your nem settles! they can be finnicky beasts!

TheKleinReef

i'm one of those people that thinks anemones don't need a mature tank, they just need a stable tank, which isn't often the case with newer systems.

that being said. it's probably that nitrite causing the most damage to it.

it turning green actually might be a good thing, more photosynthetic alage in the nem.

it releasing stuff isn't good though. have you been feeding it? if you over feed them they'll spit it back out later.

10 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

I think its important to reflect here if you're being helpful. 

Obviously the dude made a bad move. But was reaching out for help.

The only advice you actually gave was to test ammonia and no reason to back that up except assume that the tank isn't cycled, which doesnt always provide a brown bloom on the rocks.

All im saying is that people are here for help and not to be critized. 

Educate without personal bias. 

and how am i being bias?

OP stated my tank is cycled. 

I replied, i don't think so from pictures, as i have yet to see a fully cycled tank that has rocks and sand that clean.  

I have never seen a new tank that clean and be "Cycled". 

And if it was truely cycled and that clean, the person who owns it would not be asking for advice on his anemone, as that would be some really expert reefer. 

So again how was i biased for stating his tank does not look cycled?  

Even mcarrol asked if his tank was not cycled from the pictures shown, probably because he thought the same thing. 

Anyhow i'll excuse myself from this thread if you feel i am bias'd, 

But i did not go Tang Police on him, i mearly stated that anems should not be attempted on a new tank, and typically everywhere you read will say at least a tank with a min. age of 1 yr unless your experienced.

And i meant it so he would know not to try again until he saw some purple, as its typically a sign that things are mature.  

geekreef_05

Your bias is that you believe the rock should look dirty if the tank has cycled. 

Thats just not true with dry rock. 

Instead of asking for water test numbers, you jumped to conclusions and disbelieved what the OP told you.

Check BRS 4 aquariums with biome cycling. Only the live rock tank has algae on the rocks post cycle. 

Consider, before ranting, its important to have your facts together. 

In addition its important to help people vs just pointing out everything you think they've done wrong. 

Yes, its too early for the anemone to be in that tank. Thats obvious. Cycled or not.

But its there. Right now. And the OP has to do something.

So what actual advice can you give the OP to help that anemone? 

All you offered was "test ammonia" as next steps. That alone is hardly advice.

Thats why i said provide people help, not your bias. 

• Wow 1
  • 1 month later...
erichatesmice

That anemone doesn’t look too sick. But that tank doesn’t look ready for it. Try to return it and wait a bit longer before attempting a nem.

(...meawile, back at the ranch...)

On 1/23/2024 at 2:36 PM, Awrighttt said:

@mcarroll it has been cycled, our tank is still fairly new. In hindsight we should have waited and done more research but our coral has been doing great so we thought it would be fine. Gonna test the PO4 and ammonia today 

How did your tests turn out?