Pod Your Reef

TDS numbers

dling

Has any of you taken a reading of your rodi water in its storage container ? My water is zero tds

going into the container . When I read it with a hand held tds meter I get between 002 and 003.

Are these numbers a problem? I calibrated the meter before checking the water.

Thanks

JavaJacketOC

Are you sure they're 0 going in? What kind of storage container are you using? Could be leeching something into the water during storage

• Like 1

If you're tracking down a problem, then this is interesting.

If all is well and you just happened to notice this number, then that's just "normal".   Hard to say whether you should make something out of it.  Maybe.  Or maybe don't "fix" what isn't "broken".  

For what it's worth....  In general, I try to stick with food-grade plastic, or all natural HDPE (uncolored, minimally treated)...and I always assume (perhaps incorrectly) that kitchen trashcans would have anti-mold/-mildew chemicals in the plastic.  I've used trashcans, but when I make exceptions it's for just for mixing and not for storage.

Brute cans qualify as food grade IMO (they have specific models that are literally certified as such too, if you want the full technicality) if you need an easy thing to switch to.  

There are better options...but they usually cost more...

image.png.497ef5ae663f691db66215bf94ff2519.png

A 15 gallon Ronco tank would only be $80...or $106 if you want a lid too.  Shipping won't be free.  Really just about perfect for our use case though.  (Comes in any size you could want, that's just an example.)

image.thumb.png.4e8e2e996f034baeaa24b6192d36ee70.png

Something like a Vittles Vault might be a good option....Chewy has the "50 pound" one (probably around 15 gallons) for $40.  Looks like there's a smaller one too.

Also, if you aren't using the same TDS meters, and if your routine for calibration hasn't been the same, then the measurements may not be totally comparable.  Maybe 000 TDS on one meter is the same as 002 on the other.  Etc.

Thanks for the reply. They are two different types of meters and that may be the problem. I am chasing a problem

and it driving me mad. Im sure its water related. I plan on testing tomorrow. I hope I see something.

• Like 1

Switching to a different container would be a fairly cheap thing to try if you're out of other options.  👍

Good luck!

7 hours ago, dling said:

Are those numbers bad ? 002 TDS in the storage bin ?

Given the circumstances, it's hard to say for sure.   Obviously it would be better if it said 000 ppm, then we're not having this conversation wondering about it. 😉 

IMO...

• 002 ppm isn't much, so there's that.
  • The numbers are being generated by two different testers, so there's that.
  • There may be an irregular calibration routine at work (maybe on BOTH meters) causing some noise in the numbers, so there's that.
  • Last, it's a kitchen trash can rather than a more ideal container, so there's that.

If you were *really* curious and not eager to change out your storage container "on suspicion", then IMO you would get the 003 ppm water from the trashcan ICP tested...but there's a chance a test may be non-conclusive.  If you wanted to elaborate on the problem you're tracking, maybe we can help assess the potential worth in testing.

If you just want to eliminate this uncertainty, then switch out that trashcan for a better option.   Even the relatively "high" cost on something like the top-end container option I mentioned earlier ($100+) isn't really all that much when you consider that it's going to be with you for the duration of the hobby....and there are much cheaper options that are also good.  (I wager all of them cost more than your trashcan though....definitely economical!!)

Last thought, if you have inline as well as handheld TDS meters (not sure if you said already), can you use the handheld to test the direct output of the inline sensors?  I.e. take apart the RODI plumbing just enough so you can get a sample from each inline meter, one at a time, while the system is making water. (Obviously you'll be interrupting the system temporarily.). It might be interesting to see how the meters compare on the same sample....but that's not so easy to do when they're inline.  Possible, but not that easy.

I was thinking about catching the output water in a glass jar and measuring  it  and see what I get.

If it's still 002 then its the HH tds meter.

My concerns about replacing the trash can with a much more expensive container is that it may not be the problem.

I haven't,' tested the water like I wanted to. Have been down sick for the last few days. hoping to test next weekend.

• Like 1

BTW, I have a large Brute grey 55 gal can from home depot. Is that usable ?

I use it to mix my saltwater.

7 hours ago, dling said:

BTW, I have a large Brute grey 55 gal can from home depot. Is that usable ?

I use it to mix my saltwater.

A whole, whole, whole lot of people have used those without issues....myself included.  👍 Maybe give it a good wipe down with vinegar before the first use.

Maybe worth noting that not that many people track their TDS once the water is "in the can"....so not sure how typical it might be to have a little TDS show up later.  (I only got a handheld meter fairly recently, and I haven't gotten it into my RODI routine yet.)

Is mixing saltwater "on demand" possible in your case (rather than making it ahead and storing it)?  That would eliminate the storage factor – probably eliminate whatever "TDS creep" you're seeing.  I used to mix 5 gallons at a time for daily water changes on my 100 gallon system back in the day.   That only took me 10 minutes TOTAL to get out the bucket and salt, mix it (only 5 minutes), do the water change, and clean up.  That was a 5% daily water change, so there was no chance of the water being "too fresh".  I simply used it as soon as the cloudiness cleared up....which takes 5 minutes for the salts I've used so far.  It was FAST and I did a LOT of water changes that way.   That's still how I mix saltwater, although I'm mixing in larger batches now....so it takes longer than 5 min. 😉

FYI, there are definitely (inferior) ways to mix saltwater that take a lot longer than 5 minutes....I tested LOTS of ways when was on that daily water change kick.  This is the BEST way out of all the ways that are common...way better than using a pump in most configurations:

If you must use a pump to make saltwater, then top-mounting it similar to this was the ONLY way I found that was competitive with "hand mixing":

Thank you for the reply. I measured my rodi area where the trach can is . The gray brute is why to big. I plan on ordering one of the storage containers you recommended. 

Man. I just went to make the purchase.  They wanted over 70 dollars shipping.  Not doing that. I will do some research this weekend to find a 15-20 gal brute that is food safe. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dling said:

Man. I just went to make the purchase.  They wanted over 70 dollars shipping.  Not doing that. I will do some research this weekend to find a 15-20 gal brute that is food safe. 

I think those containers may be common at other places you might be able to find locally.....for example Tractor Supply carries them, and there's usually one of those "not TOO far"....a good way to save on shipping. 👍  General pet stores might even carry them since they're targeted at dog food storage.

4 hours ago, dling said:

👍 That's one of the FDA approved Brutes....they'll get you for some shipping on it, but looks like a more reasonable charge.  Same downside as the bigger Brute in that it's sorta bulky for the amount of water it holds.  But if it fits your space then size efficiency (footprint) may not matter so much.

You definitely have options!  🙂