ReefCleaners.org

My museum built Nano

reefsahoy

reefsahoy

I decided ti build a nano but wanted something different than the desktop or “normal” aquarium stand.  I began to draw ideas and came up with what I call my museum reef aquarium.  This is where my stand and setup is as important as the reef itself.  I want it to be a small showpiece in my home.

IMG_3972.thumb.jpeg.a5fb5de2ff56d65200fc08b11ea065a0.jpeg

This is my rough drawing of the stand.  It will require that I be able to fit everything inside the stand and all the equipment cleanly in the tank.IMG_3873.thumb.jpeg.e45a90c5208684451d4a1885d72e10ae.jpeg

I started my build.  Keep in mind I have no saw to do any cuts.  I had a workman installing a doggie door in my house and asked home to cut a couple boards for my build.  He obliged.

IMG_3874.thumb.jpeg.44c2c1d01cd97fcbcd37c020b33169e2.jpeg

I continued to assemble the stand making several trips to the hardware store to get hardware.  I made this stand and it seem as thought the PVC was way strong enough to hold the 5G tank.

reefsahoy

IMG_3875.thumb.jpeg.9ec89aa4c0c87c2b100db1e9380dba0a.jpeg

the stand in the grass.  The screws too long and has yet to be cut.  Have to have proof of concept before cutting the screws.

IMG_3876.thumb.jpeg.9a84be188b312a7b938d556bd5ef95a2.jpeg

finally cut the screws and this is basically what my aquarium will look like.

reefsahoy

installed feet to clear the cut screws and make the stand sit firmly onto the floorIMG_3877.thumb.jpeg.0ddead7164ec28953f04ed4416c965d5.jpeg

began drilling and modifying the PVC Pipe to accept a WiFi controlled power strip.IMG_3882.thumb.jpeg.d6a6c9862eefdd560a95a5171f2d2be1.jpeg

after drilling several holes, I began to cut out the opening

IMG_3883.thumb.jpeg.1068a8b707a24b52f3be404fc21af3b6.jpeg

checking to see if the WiFi power strip fits.

IMG_3885.thumb.jpeg.5ff8fb153d984308f876b7ad10599636.jpeg

reefsahoy

I cut out holes at the top so I can slip through all necessary cords or hoses neatly to the tank.  I then had to cut out the bottom hole for the power cord.  Next I sanded and smooth out the openings.  Note.  I’m not a “real” craftsman like some of you folks.  Like I said earlier, I don’t even have a saw! LOLIMG_3886.thumb.jpeg.f74d3e1fcb17f6f998ed16edaadd9a1b.jpeg

I bought a hammered finish gloss black paint and went for it!IMG_3892.thumb.jpeg.9bb8839aaf3078da03931d159cf846a6.jpeg

next few pics if the stand as I painted it.

IMG_3893.thumb.jpeg.c62562a1e0bb04fc4a4c32ea55c1bf87.jpegIMG_3894.thumb.jpeg.9baf3b85afaf8790079ebea8bb0620d8.jpegIMG_3895.thumb.jpeg.dad0b9c1fdcf77f293b95a9e1e3051a4.jpeg

this is kinda what it looks like almost assembled.  I found that the base was too small so I had to rethink how I’m going to make a base.  IMG_3899.thumb.jpeg.9cbe3d0e066111b7fcac2116a635cd1f.jpeg

• Like 1
reefsahoy

I still have to address the base of the stand.  I wanted a peninsula nano, so I bought the simplest ATO so I can make configure the tank as a peninsula type tank.  Here’s a video of the tank.  It’s still a work in progress.

IMG_3973.thumb.jpeg.dee721ea9f80299494d7e10351978ac8.jpeg

reefsahoy
14 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I love the idea. I hope it goes well.

I am such a kluts that I would knock it over.

Thanks, ya the base needs to either be bigger or heavier.  It’s not as stable as I’d like.  I kinda over looked this important element to the stand.

reefsahoy

I applied black aquarium backing tape to the aquarium.  Installed the WiFi power strip. Created my rock work.  I also had to modify the base of the stand to get it more stable.  I bought a wooden table top and made it the base. The final product came out super clean, I  think it came out pretty decent.  I now have to do the aquarium cycle but this will have to wait.  I have something else going on parallel to this where I won’t be able to work the tank.  I still may try and cycle the tank, but we’ll see.

IMG_3969.thumb.jpeg.20aa4643b8120a8a5aeeb37c1ebe8eb1.jpeg

• Like 3
natalia_la_loca

looks nice, i’m glad you replaced the bottom of the stand because looking at that tiny rectangle was giving me nightmare visions of the whole thing tipping over 😅

Bare bottom vs. sand is a matter of great debate in the reefing world and ultimately comes down to preference. Aesthetics aside, I would recommend you go with sand because you appear to have minimal live rock, and sand will contribute to your biofilter. 

• Like 1
reefsahoy
12 hours ago, Jimh61 said:

Love the stand. How did you mount the pvc to the wood? I like having a sand bed.

The third picture is how I’m holding the platform and feet to the oven.  It’s a threaded rod.  Then once I get the length, I cut it to the nut.

reefsahoy
9 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

looks nice, i’m glad you replaced the bottom of the stand because looking at that tiny rectangle was giving me nightmare visions of the whole thing tipping over 😅

Bare bottom vs. sand is a matter of great debate in the reefing world and ultimately comes down to preference. Aesthetics aside, I would recommend you go with sand because you appear to have minimal live rock, and sand will contribute to your biofilter. 

I was thinking the same, but I’m only going to keep one possibly 2 small fish.  The picture also makes the feet of the stand look smaller than they actually are.  An optical illusion, but ya, I made the feet bigger for more support.  It feels very sturdy now.

• Like 1
geekreef_05

Wow! What a project. I feel like this is some hi-brow reefing.  

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. 

I think sand is good. Looks more natural. 

ryans.salty.crew

I'm sure you already know, but this will be very top heavy! Be careful of dogs, cats, and children playing around it! Love the idea

reefsahoy
6 hours ago, ryans.salty.crew said:

I'm sure you already know, but this will be very top heavy! Be careful of dogs, cats, and children playing around it! Love the idea

It’s good. I filled it and did my bounce test.  I guess if a kid ran directly into it, it could tip over, but same could be said if a kid threw a baseball and hit any tank.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
reefsahoy

Nano filled and running for over a week.  

Picture is a week ago filled and running.  notice behind the stand a small  ATO bottle.  So far it only evap maybe 1/3 the bottle for the week.  So I estimate 3 weeks supply of ato water.  The stand is very sturdy.IMG_4032.thumb.jpeg.1d35517a0130edb4cfe6ec77f4753e54.jpeg

• Like 3
reefsahoy

The current light is going to be a test light setup.  I do believe it’s strong enough to hold the corals im going to select, low to mid lighting requirement.  If I find it not suitable, I’ll go AI prime or redsea LED50.  I like the metal halide shimmer.  Not sure if AI gives the natural looking shimmer.