Top Shelf Aquatics

AF-RS170 Automatic Filter Roller for RedSea 170

Staticmoves

Staticmoves

anyone have first hand experience with this product.

it is of interest to me, in the quest for some autonomy while away from the house.

The good, the bad and the ugly. or even just on roller mats in general.

looks about $25 CAD per roll. roughly 82' per roll. =  1 month service? = $300\year in rolls

and $320 CAD for the roller.

lets hear it.

If your system is already running a mechanical filter and you think it would be a problem while you're away, I'd almost suggest just not running mechanical while you're away as the better option.

If your system is not already running mechanical filtration, I would definitely not add it when you leave.

Sorry I don't have any direct experience with them.  

Everyone hypes on the redsea because they are well built, and you can get the roller filters for cheaper on aliexpress or third party.

The only issue is the shipping time, so people who decide to go on this route, usually buy 6months to a year in advance and horde up.  

Personally i would love to use a automatic roller, as it makes your life so much easier, but there are good ones, bad ones, and "just say no" ones. 

I think the best in class are the Clarisea and the RedSea, and the just say no is Klir drop in.   

The good... keeps your tank super clean, and your sump as well, and you do not get vermitide snails growing down there, or sponges exploding. Its all done for you, so you do not need to replace your filter socks every week, and throw them in a bucket with bleach.  

The bad... they cost money and there is an upkeep, but this is a YMMV on cost, as i said there are cheaper options to this. 

Would i use them?

Most likely on my large tank, not so much on a nano.  

If it makes you feel better, wait til you get a Neptune Trident, and a Neptune DoS, with 2 part dosing configured. 

That was hella expensive, but i think its worth every penny as i do not need to worry about dosing proper Alk, and Mag.  

• Like 1