Innovative Marine Aquariums

Which tank would you recommend?

Nadia

I am buying a nano-reef tank, but i do not know which tank to choose. I am not a beginner. I would really like a kit, so i do not have to pick out equipment myself. 

I am thinking about following tanks:
Red sea nano max
Aqua medic Blenny cube
Fluval Evo

I can also get a hold on a Waterbox AIO 20 gallon, but then i would have to buy more equipment, and i would really like to run the aquarium with a skimmer. 

Can you recommend any of these options please? 

colormegone

Have you seen the HelloReef kit? No skimmer thou. I looked at this one a few times but decided to go with a smaller tank and collect all the parts myself.

• Like 1

What size tank you looking for?

what do you want to keep it it?

Do you want , glass, acrylic, cube , rectangle, etc. I think once those questions are answered you may get more of an idea as what to get.

• Like 1
Staticmoves

That Red Sea Max Nano would fit in many spots, and you know the quality is there.

like @Jimh61said, a few decisions first. And budget considerations ( as we all know sky is the limit)

I loved my Evo 13.5, but the Red Sea is a nice package. 

exciting……. New build….😁

• Like 1
On 1/17/2024 at 9:33 AM, Nadia said:

I am buying a nano-reef tank, but i do not know which tank to choose. I am not a beginner. I would really like a kit, so i do not have to pick out equipment myself. 

Red sea nano max
Aqua medic Blenny cube
Fluval Evo

I can also get a hold on a Waterbox AIO 20 gallon, but then i would have to buy more equipment, and i would really like to run the aquarium with a skimmer. 

I would suggest the option on your list that best fits (I bet all are quality options) AND that is also carried by your LFS in case you have questions later or a need of spare parts for it.  👍

Why a skimmer ? Have ran a lot of tanks without one. And well a IM 15 is like 140 shipped....... add a light and heater and you have a tank...... I have had RS tanks and yeah there ok...... loved all my IM tanks I have had over the years.... good luck in your tank journey. 

• Like 2

The Aqua Medic blenny cube looks like a nice tank. If I had to choose from the 4 tanks you mentioned, it would be that one.

• Like 1

im actually in the "Must have Sump" cliche, so i would honestly find a tank with a rear overflow, and a bottom sump, as a sump will make your life that much easier... and i do mean a very big A LOT EASIER.  

Thank you all for your answers .

For your questions :

• I can not get a hold on the Helloreef kit.
  • I am looking for a tank about 100 liters. 
  • I want to keep some small fish, clowns, gobys, shrimps and mostly soft corals. A glass aquarium, a cube.
  • I have no budget, but not a lot of space 

I have now done more research and it is now between the Red Sea max nano peninsula and the Red Sea max E-170. 

I have (for now a least) no desire to run a sump in the cabinet but I like the bigger size of the E-170. 

It needs to be in a corner, so I have to reach over it to get to the corner of the sump in the back of the aquarium. 

Which one would you choose? 

Staticmoves

E-170 give you the option of adding a lower sump in the future. Those kind of future options left open are a thing of beauty. 
the peninsula may as well.

those are some solid options.

but “my opinion” would be, it must look size appropriate ( scale appropriate) for the space. All part of the full package.

and ease of accessibility to the sump for maintenance, means you’ll do it more often. ( as you mentioned having to reach over the tank.

these are only my opinions…..😎

solid options….cheers

• 2 weeks later...
JavaJacketOC
On 1/17/2024 at 6:33 AM, Nadia said:

Red sea nano max
Aqua medic Blenny cube
Fluval Evo

Red sea nano max peninsula 

Staticmoves

Did we make a choice!

You mentioned that Hello Reef kit, to bad you can’t get ahold of one, just checked out the video and it looks like a solid kit for the price.

16 hours ago, Staticmoves said:

Did we make a choice!

You mentioned that Hello Reef kit, to bad you can’t get ahold of one, just checked out the video and it looks like a solid kit for the price.

I'm not sure why they can’t get ahold of one they are on Amazon. Looks like a great deal like you said. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Lawnman said:

I'm not sure why they can’t get ahold of one they are on Amazon. Looks like a great deal like you said. 

I just ordered one with free next day 🤘😜🤘

Looks like a solid situation to me

• Like 1
geekreef_05

The Red Sea and Waterbox are definitely the better choices of nano cubes. 

I have a waterbox 20 cube.

A different choice for a good affordable skimmer for either would be the ReefGlass skimmer. Its super compact and not complex.

I think compact aquariums all have their challenges and need compact solutions.

ryans.salty.crew

I'm bias, I won't lie. The Fluvla Evo is a bomb tank. The price is decently cheap and you can almost always find a used one on Facebook. The shape of the tank is much like a small peninsula (I love peninsula tanks). 

I've seen that Waterbox has a VERY competitively priced selection of tanks as well. 

I've always heard negative things about RedSea tanks and that they leak but have NO EXPERINCE with one (might just be passing on roomers)

Staticmoves
25 minutes ago, ryans.salty.crew said:

I'm bias, I won't lie. The Fluvla Evo is a bomb tank. The price is decently cheap and you can almost always find a used one on Facebook. The shape of the tank is much like a small peninsula (I love peninsula tanks). 

I've seen that Waterbox has a VERY competitively priced selection of tanks as well. 

I've always heard negative things about RedSea tanks and that they leak but have NO EXPERINCE with one (might just be passing on roomers)

+1 on the EVO 13.5... love it.

Have not heard many complaints on Red Sea from long term users. and love mine... ( need context on weather tanks were new or used, and if cabinets were properly shimmed by end user. most complaints in life are user error.) ( alot of people don't even own a level, or check it both ways to calibrate, or bench mark) ( this can all stress silicone) 

• Like 1
ryans.salty.crew
41 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

+1 on the EVO 13.5... love it.

Have not heard many complaints on Red Sea from long term users. and love mine... ( need context on weather tanks were new or used, and if cabinets were properly shimmed by end user. most complaints in life are user error.) ( alot of people don't even own a level, or check it both ways to calibrate, or bench mark) ( this can all stress silicone) 

I would like to add that I think RedSea tanks are beautiful! I use their lights and ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM AND THE RED SEA REEFER APP!!! I'd like to get the new ATO soon

This is my source https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-g2-safe.977695/ 

The roomers about the customer service was enough to steer me away. Take note that it's not a old post either. Just last year. @Staticmoves Do you have any experience with their customer service? I would LOVE to hear some positive things about the tank or company! What do you love about it?

Staticmoves
22 minutes ago, ryans.salty.crew said:

I would like to add that I think RedSea tanks are beautiful! I use their lights and ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM AND THE RED SEA REEFER APP!!! I'd like to get the new ATO soon

This is my source https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-g2-safe.977695/ 

The roomers about the customer service was enough to steer me away. Take note that it's not a old post either. Just last year. @Staticmoves Do you have any experience with their customer service? I would LOVE to hear some positive things about the tank or company! What do you love about it?

I have not had to contact there customer service, but again, context of interactions from a few individuals compared to the masses is important. and possible end user error.

• Agree 1
Staticmoves

you know how many things in life are built with a short more replaceable life span now....... ( appliances ).

It would be great to hear from some 30 -40 year aquarists. are todays aquariums and equipment built more reliable than yester year, or cheaper and more disposable?

Maybe we should move this to a new thread as not to hijack this one.

this could be like asking " what is the best motor oil " on a motorcycle forum............................

ryans.salty.crew
58 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

you know how many things in life are built with a short more replaceable life span now....... ( appliances ).

It's funny you say this because I was thinking you meant house appliances. (not to get off topic) but microwaves last less then 5 years before something goes bad on the screen.

• Like 1