Pod Your Reef

HM Electronics Cetus 2SS reef lights

colormegone

colormegone

Starting a new Nano tank. 8.3 gal. Lifegard AIO and was interested in this light. Can't find much info on it except that they fibbed some on the watts it puts out. The 65 W looks like it would work and seems to be easy to program off your phone. Anyone know or use this light? Price is right also...

Roy

• colormegone changed the title to HM Electronics Cetus 2SS reef lights
debbeach13

I see this light is new to the market and was released in Nov. 2023. The few reviews that are right there on Amazon are pretty good as far as the light itself goes. It does have several comments about running very very hot. No instructions in English but didn't seem to be a problem. Sounds like the app. is Reasonably easy to use.  Those were the only reviews I could find with a quick search. The price is good, and it comes with the mounting bracket.

I personally like products that have been around for a while and have plenty of reviews from other reefers. 

Worst case you try it and if you don't like it return it. 

colormegone

I've seen a few vids on these lights but would have liked to hear from someone who tried them. For $130 I'll most likely give it a go. I'm just collecting parts right now.

As for livestock... Just the normal starter Zoes and maybe a few soft corals with a cleanup crew. No hurry getting going. Just need a good light that holds its memory if the power turns off which is another question, I was trying to find out about the Cetus 2SS 68

Don't have experience with them but will add a few thoughts:  Someone mentioned that these only work with the app....not without it.  I could always use the on-board interface OR the remote/app on any lights I've used.  Dunno if I like the idea of the light being completely dependent.  Seems like their design includes a little "heat capture umbrella" for the LED fixture...would make sense if someone said they run hot.  Historically speaking, excessive heat + LED = short LED life.

yanagisawa

I am using this HME cetus light on a mixed reef tabk. Personally favoured the spectrum it emitted coverring from UV to red. The UV made the coral fluorescence really popping. And it is not new in the market, it is manufactured in Taiwan and released in Asia for few years. The light is programmed by mobile app through bluetooth. However, if the light power is switched off, I need to connect the light with the app so that the light get the program I set. It is a little inconvenience. Otherwise, the light runs for its program with no hassle.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Jeff sparrow

I just purchased the Cetus 2ss . 
im confused. The tank ramps up blue and at the end of the evening it ramps white (red green white ? ) is this ok or do I have to sit down with pad and paper and go through the apps parameters??