SaltCritters.com

Adding a sump to an AIO

Pjanssen

I've read that you can either add an external overflow box or drill the tank and remove the wall that makes the AIO chamber. Has anyone done either with success? Not much of a DIYer, so would likely have to hire someone to do the build for me. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks

Reefkid88

I would think the middle chamber would be ideal for this. The Eshopps Nano would probably be the best bet. 

Then run the return right into the same spot the return nozzle woukd normally go. 

6 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I've read that you can either add an external overflow box or drill the tank and remove the wall that makes the AIO chamber. Has anyone done either with success? Not much of a DIYer, so would likely have to hire someone to do the build for me. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks

Is it more desirable in your circumstance to convert an AIO than to begin with a tank without a wall?  

Not saying one way is necessarily better than the other (I have heard of folks doing this and it seems fine), but not having a wall to remove and only a hole to drill would at least appear on the surface to be 50% easier.  Using a plain tank plus an overflow box (no hole to drill) almost makes it 100% easier, right? 😉 🙂 

I'm sure you'll find someone if that's the way that makes the most sense.  👍

9 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Is it more desirable in your circumstance to convert an AIO than to begin with a tank without a wall?  

I currently have in storage an IM 15 gallon AIO. Considering setting it back up in lieu of the RedSea 250 that just crashed. Researching all of my options. Might even keep it as an AIO and use as is, but I think I’d rather have a sump

• Like 1

I can agree with this sentiment..as much as I love my little AIO I would LOVE to have a sump to store probes, dosing lines, and equipment.  My tank looks like Medusa with all the wires coming out of the back........I'd imagine the AIO wall comes out pretty easy.  I've never drilled a tank before but I would probably opt for an external overflow.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ml86743 said:

I'd imagine the AIO wall comes out pretty easy.

Speaking from personal experience, almost everything is easy to imagine. 😜

You're probably right....after all, it's not impossible to take the whole tank apart, glass and all. 👍

22 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

but I think I’d rather have a sump

Do you think you'd drill the bottom or the back if you went the drilling route?  

Have you run a U-tube overflow before?  I think they're a solid option as long as the setup is right (eg being sized right, etc) and you test and re-test to make sure it will survive a power-outage without a hitch.

TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

You're probably right....after all, it's not impossible to take the whole tank apart, glass and all. 👍

you always surprise me with the stupidest comments. wow

Koleswrath
On 1/15/2024 at 7:14 AM, Pjanssen said:

I've never had an AIO but is there enough room in the back chamber to drill 1 1/4" holes for a couple 1/2" bulkheads on the bottom? Then all you need is a full siphon stand pipe and an emergency or partial siphon standpipe. You'd need to space the holes at least 1-1/4" from any glass edges. 

Screenshot2024-01-16152526.png.72e2513e17ffbeef0e6d8ab1e98714a1.png

20 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Speaking from personal experience, almost everything is easy to imagine. 😜

So true

17 hours ago, Koleswrath said:

I've never had an AIO but is there enough room in the back chamber to drill 1 1/4" holes for a couple 1/2" bulkheads on the bottom? Then all you need is a full siphon stand pipe and an emergency or partial siphon standpipe. You'd need to space the holes at least 1-1/4" from any glass edges. 

Screenshot2024-01-16152526.png.72e2513e17ffbeef0e6d8ab1e98714a1.png

probably not enough room for that, unless I remove the panel. Guess I should get it out of storage and start looking at it. Or just scrub the whole thing and get this instead

8_20221204171908_11800461_large.jpg
LOL

• Like 1
Koleswrath
5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

So true

probably not enough room for that, unless I remove the panel. Guess I should get it out of storage and start looking at it. Or just scrub the whole thing and get this instead

8_20221204171908_11800461_large.jpg
LOL

Have your cake and eat it too!

jasper.jpg.ffaacd7c1981acc01ab8039187d5464b.jpg

• Like 2