Top Shelf Aquatics

Starting a 5 gallon fluval evo tank. Any tips would be appreciated :)

momokobi24

momokobi24

Hello! Was hoping to get some advice/tips. I just filled the tank up with water and live sand. Planning to have it run for a few days and then add live rocks/a fish to the tank. 

I have a couple questions:

1) How often should I do water changes and do I need to top off daily? (Is an auto top off necessary?) 
2) Do I need an air/oxygen pump? 
3) Would a small clown fish be ok for my tank? 
4) Any recommedations on additives? 

5) Best beginner corals?

if there are any other advices/tios you guys have, it’d be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

natalia_la_loca

hi, congrats on the new tank! the fluval 5 gallon tank is really cute. 

1. WC frequency depends on bioload and nutrient/element uptake by corals. I’d start with a biweekly water change and follow up based on your water parameters.

Top-off need depends on amount of evaporation. ATO is advisable if you have an open lid as a lot of people do. I don’t use an ATO because I wanted simplicity, one less thing to plug in, and one less failure point; my Evo 13.5 has a custom made solid acrylic lid that prevents most evaporation.

2. No, but it might be good to get a battery powered one to keep circulation going if you live in a place that’s prone to power outages.

3. I think a small one might be okay for a while, but you’d need to rehome it eventually which would be stressful for the animal. There are lots of interesting gobies that would do well in a 5 gallon.

4. None, unless you’re planning on running SPS. Water changes are easy with such a small water volume.

5. Many softies like toadstools, sinularia, nephthea, kenya tree, xenia, and mushrooms are beginner friendly. Blastomussa is an easy and beautiful LPS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
debbeach13

Hi Welcome to NR. 

Natalia's reply is spot on.

I used one of these tanks for over a year. It was a great little Pico. You can check out my "I am not a contestant thread" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
geekreef_05
On 1/10/2024 at 11:29 PM, momokobi24 said:

Hello! Was hoping to get some advice/tips. I just filled the tank up with water and live sand. Planning to have it run for a few days and then add live rocks/a fish to the tank. 

I have a couple questions:

1) How often should I do water changes and do I need to top off daily? (Is an auto top off necessary?) 

5) Best beginner corals?

if there are any other advices/tios you guys have, it’d be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

Welcome to NR. Here are my set of answers to your questions:

1) How often should I do water changes. 

10% weekly and 30 to 70% when your nitrates, phosphates or other elements are out of balance.  

and do I need to top off daily? (Is an auto top off necessary?) 

Yes. People can debate this. But you will regret not having one, if you skip it.

No.They are almost useless. Check out the experiments done with them. They dont contribute to oxygenation of water or provide any useful water movement. 

Reefs get good air exchange by lots of water surface movement 

Min size for clowns is 10 gallon.

Shrimp-Goby pair maybe good choice for a 5 gallon. 

Its a small size. Limiting on fish for sure.. 

Depends on the corals.

5) Best beginner corals?

GSP, Xenia, Monti Cap

Hope that helps!