inTank Media Baskets

Alternatives to LFS RODI

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

Mad question I know but ICE whereby you arent able to get to your LFS for RODI what household alternatives can you use for topping off your tank?

Off the top of my head: 

dehumidifier water 

tumble drier water (both are effectively impure distilled water)

can you use water from a Brita filter jug? 

What other alternatives can people think of?

Staticmoves

Look up an RO buddie if it’s a smaller tank.

make your own RODI at home.

or maybe a barracuda RODI if the tank is larger.…..

cheers……😎
i would avoid all your aforementioned alternatives.

• Agree 1

Especially dihumidifer water... lol..  that i would consider non potable even.  

DI water = 0 TDS

Store bought ICE isnt close to DI Water unless you can see though it like its absolutely clear.  

I have no idea what Tumble drier water is, but it doesn't sound very clean either.  

Brita bearly lowers TDS at all, so id rather use TAP water over a Brita as it wouldn't achieve much other then burning though your brita filters.  

If you can't use an RO buddy, distilled water. It should be zero TDS and perfectly safe. I would always check it with a TDS meter first, however.

7 hours ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

Mad question I know but ICE whereby you arent able to get to your LFS for RODI what household alternatives can you use for topping off your tank?

Off the top of my head: 

dehumidifier water 

tumble drier water (both are effectively impure distilled water)

can you use water from a Brita filter jug? 

What other alternatives can people think of?

I would use Brita before I used the other options.  Dehumidifiers are technically distilled water in a way, however all that water has loads of contaminants in it from the coil.  Back when I bought water I always had fresh water for top off, a bucket filled with saltwater for a change, and a backup fresh water bucket... just in case.  That backup bucket would then get delegated to the salt water bucket  to make sure it didn't  for too long.  

JavaJacketOC

Generally, you can find purified drinking water that has been R/O at your grocery store and it's usually 0 TDS. I preferred using this over distilled but distilled also works. Just make sure you get the water that has not been "remineralizer" for flavor.

InAtTheDeepEnd
2 hours ago, Staticmoves said:

is this a one off in a pinch top up, or the search for a new norm of source water.

one of pinch type deal 

my usual source is LFS RODI  - reluctant to ever use tapwater because my tapwater is awful; it's about 30ppm nitrates.

48 minutes ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

one of pinch type deal 

my usual source is LFS RODI  - reluctant to ever use tapwater because my tapwater is awful; it's about 30ppm nitrates.

Unless your system has problems already even that topwater is not gonna hurt in a pinch.  (Make sure your PO4 levels are not near-zero and there will be no worries.)

(It would be a predictable problem if used on an ongoing basis.  Is this a hypothetical question, or how long are you without RODI water?)

Reefkid88

Distilled. If they don't have that RO filtered water usually drinking water sold in the gallons should work.