inTank Media Baskets

What to do about this layer of sand? Algae.....

AaronRV45

AaronRV45

Should I just turkey baster this or is there a critter that would be better suited? I don't want a fish to add more poop. Currently, there are no fish. I feed the Nassarius snails every 5 days or so. All water levels are great. I may get a small clownfish someday but not soon. 

I have about 5-6 blue/red leg hermits, 2-3 cerith or astrea snails(not sure which), 2 large nassarius snails, and 1 turbo in a 10g Innovatiove AIO.

Thanks,

IMG20240107163901.jpg

I would continue to just stir up the bed with a stick until the Algae looks to start to dissipate. It's a bit of a chore if you want to maintain a clean look - but I incorporated it into my daily routine before cleaning my glass. 

The water clarity takes a hit for a couple hours but the more consistent you are with stirring up the top layer of the sand bed, the cleaner it will look over time. If you really wanted to get sand turned over on a daily basis in your entire aquarium, I would look into getting a pistol shrimp. Be warned - some would advise completely against this. I've always loved my Pistol shrimp even if they are a bit of a nuisance at times. If your sandbed is 1.5 - 2 + inches in some places, it would be right at home. 

I would continue to just stir up the bed with a stick until the Algae looks to start to dissipate. It's a bit of a chore if you want to maintain a clean look - but I incorporated it into my daily routine before cleaning my glass. 

The water clarity takes a hit for a couple hours but the more consistent you are with stirring up the top layer of the sand bed, the cleaner it will look over time. If you really wanted to get sand turned over on a daily basis in your entire aquarium, I would look into getting a pistol shrimp. Be warned - some would advise completely against this. I've always loved my Pistol shrimp even if they are a bit of a nuisance at times. If your sandbed is 1.5 - 2 + inches in some places, it would be right at home. 

AaronRV45
4 minutes ago, Smurf said:

What are the disadvantages of a pistol shrimp? My sand bed is 3"s when level.