Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sammy33's 6 Gallon Inverted Cube

sammy33

Well it's been a while since I have had a reef aquarium. About 14 years ago I took down my last reef tank which was a monstrous, overwhelming 180+ gallon system. Beatiful... but a ton of work to maintain. I had a few nano reefs along the way and ultimately enjoyed them more than the big reef tanks I have owned.

Here we go again! Plan is to use premix salt and rodi from the LFS so no rodi filter mishaps in the house. 🤮

I have a 6g Aqueon rimless cube from a previous setup that I am using for this build. I decided to paint the back of the tank black for a background.

Painting the back.

aqueon 6g rimless cube

The rest of the stuff:

Hygger 30w clip-on marine led

Seachem Tidal 55 filter

Nicrew 50w heater

Fzone ATO (360P)

6lbs Caribsea sand

5lbs Caribsea "life rock"

IMG_2629copy.thumb.png.a5b2374ceb07661dc62b841017d22ff0.png

Official set up date was 12/19/23 so only a couple weeks into the cycle now. I don't think I will keep any fish in this tank stocking it with corals and inverts only. Any stocking ideas? Here is the fish room vibe I have going so far.

IMG_2635copy.thumb.png.47da213f83022ba0ac13fabda63ed095.png

• Like 3

I decided to order some actual live rock from one of the aquaculture farms in Florida. I got 15 lbs of the premium nano live rock and 10lbs of the wild sand from U.S. Live Rock. I asked for as much macro algae as possible. Pic from their website...

usliverock.com-nano-size-aquacultured-live-rock-in-basket.jpg.9a237e753f60d7c44349755cacf16ae4.jpg

Some of this will go in the 6g and also in an extra 10g tank that I have for another build I am working on. 

• Like 1

Off to a great start! I’m curious about your sand and liverock order, I’m considering that route. 
also the fish tank room is the place to be! Gotta have the stool on wheels and height adjustable 😆 👍🏽 

• Like 1

Diatoms are starting to show in the 6g. Feels good to see some signs of life and the cycle doing its thing. First critters will likely be a couple of astrea snails and a couple of blue leg hermits.

6g-01-6-24.thumb.png.cbd70e444f330198e7ba9efdb3341eba.png

I am thinking I am going to leave this tank as is using the live rock I ordered for my 10g build instead. I really like the cave scape here and the potential the arch holds for coral placement. A coral banded shrimp is on my short list of critters. 😉

6g-01-7-24.thumb.png.012a13416666fe78aef6084dd668ffef.png

• Like 1
  • sammy33 changed the title to Sammy33's 6 Gallon Rimless Cube - Cycle

Decided to go ahead and get some critters for this nano. I grabbed a couple each of blue leg hermits and nassarius snails from my LFS (Atlanta Aquarium). 

6g-1-10a.thumb.png.a83f754c5378a3be0dc1d0960e975151.png

Looks like I actually ended up with a blue leg and a mexican red leg. With plenty of diatoms to munch the hermits have basically cleaned up the one corner and are working on the other patches. The nassa snails buried in the sand after a brief cruise around their new home.  🐌 

6g-1-10.thumb.png.b8603c1a99c9ff31ae7963349039966d.png

• Like 3
  • sammy33 changed the title to Sammy33's 6 Gallon Inverted Cube

I added a few corals to the 6g nano reef. I really like the swaying flowing action of Euphyllia but have not kept many in the past. I chose a Green Splatter Hammer, a Rainbow Hammer and a Golden Eye Frogspawn. I also got a free JF Dayglo Favites frag all from the LFS.

6g-2-10.thumb.png.251545ecdf915f92bb782da56753c8ee.png

The aquarium is doing well overall. I am getting some diatoms that are waning. As long as I keep my weekly water changes going I think they will clear up soon. More inverts are the next additions. 🦀

• Like 2

Stomatella Spawning

Passing by my tank, I noticed my aquarium was crazy cloudy like microbubbles?!? After closer inspection I realized that my Stomatella snails were spawning. Tons of eggs/gametes in the water (free coral food). 🐌

Might have a bunch more stomas soon!  Here is a quick video:

• Wow 1

More Euphyllia! I grabbed this Purple Tip Green Hammer from my LFS this past weekend. It looks like it is starting to split so maybe two heads on this one soon.

6g-2-20.thumb.png.8ccdee668c87c008374dc6a968143cf0.png

• Like 2
Bluelobstor
On 2/10/2024 at 11:19 PM, sammy33 said:

I added a few corals to the 6g nano reef. I really like the swaying flowing action of Euphyllia but have not kept many in the past. I chose a Green Splatter Hammer, a Rainbow Hammer and a Golden Eye Frogspawn. I also got a free JF Dayglo Favites frag all from the LFS.

6g-2-10.thumb.png.251545ecdf915f92bb782da56753c8ee.png

The aquarium is doing well overall. I am getting some diatoms that are waning. As long as I keep my weekly water changes going I think they will clear up soon. More inverts are the next additions. 🦀

Looking good I love Euphyllias! I hope they do well for you and I'm loving the rockscape. The cave is awesome

• Like 1