Top Shelf Aquatics

Zoanthids toxic?

ZTW

Hi everyone. I have read and heard that zoanthids are toxic and that it could harm someone. Is this true? Or does it take a lot till something like that happens? I've never kept corals and have been looking into it. Some corals that are not toxic and won't harm people would be appreciated. Thank you!

23 minutes ago, ZTW said:

Hi everyone. I have read and heard that zoanthids are toxic and that it could harm someone. Is this true? Or does it take a lot till something like that happens? I've never kept corals and have been looking into it. Some corals that are not toxic and won't harm people would be appreciated. Thank you!

You can get sick from cat litter too.  Wash your hands after handling both. 🙂

Seriously.  A very small percentage of palys in our hobby contain palytoxin.  Due to bacteria, you should already be washing your hands everytime you are done in the tank.  Don't mistreat zoas ie. Burning them, chopping them up, scraping them, boiling them and use common sense hygiene and you won't need to worry about the tiny possibility of a poisoning. ( and yes, with the exception of 1 or 2 stories of a un regulated heater malfunctioning, the above ridiculous reasons make up 99.9% of all the extremely rare palytoxin cases)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...