Coral Vue Hydros

Best general book?

reefguru21

dave's but it's NC-17. :P

borneman's is the most recent i think but is concentrated in corals of course. goldstein's is a good general book that's not too old. tullock's is my favorite with the different biotopes but calfo's covers about the same but with less pictures and not as basic in its readings though, imo.

I highly suggest The Reef Aquarium Vol 1 -by C. Delbeek and J. Sprung. It is not a cheap book, however it starts with the basics and works its way to the minute details of just about every topic. It goes over clam and stony corals (LPS and SPS) in full detail (Vol 2 is the one that really gets into soft coral). However, it has an excellent coverage of lighting, filtration, trace elements (both in the natural and aquarium setting). This book will spend a lot of time referencing major scientific studies -yet manages to stay interesting. If you really like detail this is the book for it! The catch...? The price... I think it retails for over $70 (when I bought it the book cost $85). Unfortunately, I do not know of a book that primarily deals with small systems (like nanos or picos)... However, you can apply just about (save skimmers and dosing) any principal of a larger tank to a smaller one. I'll be buying Vol 2 within the next few months. -by the way, I use this book way more often than any other book (in fact I only brought 2 reef aquarium books to college with me, and this was the first one on my list!).

BARE BONES BASIC..... As much as I hated it cause its so freeken simple, the New Marine Aquarium by: Mike Paletta is great fer idiots. BUT if ya want a good read, get Dalbeks book. Guide to modern reefs, or a general all around decent book,

You and Your Aquarium by Dick Mills. its very basic and focuses on FW mostly, but its a decent basic NECESSARY Knowledge needed book.

Oh and mine isnt even in the pre-edit stage so ya got some time to go !;)

Archived