ReefCleaners.org

ZTW tank

ZTW

Hi, I'm new here! I have a 10g fish only tank. It's been running for about nine months. I've been thinking about getting my first coral. I would like to possibly get duncan corals. Does any one have an idea of a good beginner coral I could get?                                                                                                            

• Like 1

What kind of light do you have and what does your current  maintenance/tests schedule look like?  Generally, mushrooms or zoas are usually the go to for first timers, but I'd recomend being picky about what you want in such a smaller tank.  Both corals I mentioned can really take off and overgrow in the right conditions.

• Like 1

Duncan corals are a relatively hardy LPS coral.  And being a LPS coral, at the very least, you have to be aware of the alkalinity level in your tank.  Then, if you ever need to dose alkalinity due to consumption, you'll have to dose calcium and magnesium as well.  But duncans aren't a bad choice.

The soft corals that Pat mentioned tend to do well with elevated nutrient levels (phosphate and nitrate), something that many beginner tanks often have.  Plus, they aren't stony corals, so you don't usually have to worry about alkalinity consumption.  All of which make them good beginner corals, as Pat stated.

You don't want to add anything when you are having a problem.  Issues should be resolved prior to any addition that you are planning to make.  However, if your tank is progressing nicely, nine months is actually a pretty good time to start adding some coral; but continue to take things slow.