Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HLLE redsea sailfin tang help/advice please

Lucasmaximas

I purchased an Indian Ocean sailfin tang online around 2 weeks ago, I didn’t recognise what it was to start with but it appears to be showing early symptoms of hlle. It’s not got any worse since being in my tank (if anything it’s slightly better).

I currently use Seachem matrix carbon and feed tmc gamma frozen brine shrimp quintet along with offering ocean nutrition green seaweed

Would you recommend any other seaweed/supplicants available in the UK to help with recovery?

Would you recommend stopping using matrix carbon and use a non carbon media such as Seachem renew instead?

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated!

These are pictures from today;IMG_2911.thumb.jpeg.4b8eb7cf2da5f0165034a14dc331fa5e.jpegIMG_2913.thumb.jpeg.5e2e166b4c7dcd439e8e7dd6ac9660ac.jpeg

I didn’t have a picture from the day of arrival but have a short video (taken in the dark) the evening of acclimation day.

It’s such a beautiful fish, I just want to do what I can to help it recover so any advice would be most appreciated.

Removing the activated carbon from your system is the #1 thing I'd recommend.  Use only as-needed.  If you can't remove it, certainly use the minimum amount required to achieve the goal you have.  (Water clarity is usually achieved within minutes or hours and doesn't require continuous usage, in case that's the main goal.)

Sounds like your food is pretty good, but either in addition or instead of the quintet mix, if possible offer some kind of orange-pink plankton or krill. (strong omega3 sources)

IME there's a good chance there will be permanent scarring.

Ok, thanks for the advice. My thought process was, from what I’ve read, the carbon issue evidence is mostly in relation to cheaper low quality carbon that releases a lot of dust. I thought in balance the Seachem matrix carbon would beneficial, But your point is valid. If carbons positive impact is pretty rapid, why take a risk by running it long term? I will remove the carbon tomorrow along with a 10-15% water change.

I genuinely think that the mark above the eyes have improved (slightly) since the fish first arrived. At first the marks appeared to be the same on both sides of the fish, but now the right side is significantly less visible than the left. I’m hoping that as it’s so young (2 inches in length) it may have limited disfigurement as it grows.

anyone else with experience or an opinion, I’d be grateful for anything else you could suggest.

• Like 1