Cultivated Reef

Addressing Dino Recurrence: Seeking Advice

RickvD

Hello everyone,

A few weeks or months ago, I successfully tackled a Dino problem caused by zero phosphates using a Hanna checker and dosing. Unfortunately, they've returned swiftly. My nitrate remains high, and phosphates are at 0.1.

Currently, the only change is the absence of carbon, as it's sold out, and I'm awaiting restocking. All my zoas are closing, and other corals seem unhappy. Raising nutrients is not feasible anymore. Should I consider a blackout?

5 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

Let’s see a close up picture of the suspect.

and then of course a wide angle of your whole tank 😁

I have done some research under the microscope and I found out that I have ostreopsis dinos. This means a UV steriliser should be able to fix my issues. As I have a 15 gal AIO, this gives me 2 options and I'm not sure which one is the best.

For 70 euro's I can get this Aqua Medic Helix Max 2.0 5W. For this to work I would have to redirect my tube from my return pump to the UV, then from the UV back to the nozzle. That would mean the UV would hang on the outside back of the tank.

25744-home_default.webp.fceae5bdd360d70842c86a4068116c22.webp

For 20 euro's I can get this Cherlam Internal 9W. This would be put in my return chamber next to the return pump. There are however a lot of mixed experiences with this option (not working or melting the silicone).

cherlam-interne-uv-sterilizer-met-timer-SJD-50.jpg.9d3a5990e48b920bf1b498e4b106098b.jpg

• Like 1
On 12/12/2023 at 8:51 AM, RickvD said:

I have done some research under the microscope and I found out that I have ostreopsis dinos.

Have there been any other changes in the mean time that brought on this specific bloom?   Temperature changes....whatever?  Having one come on "randomly" is pretty unusual.  At least as far as you could see, was it completely gone before this, from the last bloom?

On 12/12/2023 at 8:51 AM, RickvD said:

2 options and I'm not sure which one is the best.

Well, not working and melting seem like fairly definitive downsides for the one make.  IMO there's nothing wrong with the other unit hanging over the side of the tank, tho I hear you that it's going to be more of a pain to install and uninstall....and it's a lot more €.