Top Shelf Aquatics

Flow positioning

noobiereef

Hi! I recently adjusted my tank and am not sure how to position my Nero 3. Would love to get your expertise. My tank is a waterbox peninsula 25g. I hate the look of wires going down the side with a passion so debating the other spots. What would be best?

20231111_001703.jpg

william_payne1

I personally would put it in the yellow spot, that would give you similar flow and you can run the cable out the top and down the back. then re-adjust the nozzles on the aio pump outlet to get some crossflow in there.

• Thanks 1

I’d probably go left side left of red x half way down at the corner or right green x side towards the front facing the left.  

I just added a second Nero 3 to my 24gal.  I have one high and one in the middle. I have them set so one is parent mode and one child mode during pulse phase. 

I have the random generator on the return pump facing up for surface movement.  I am adding the new Nero Adis 40 next week as my return pump for better flow control in the return. 

IMG_4548.thumb.jpeg.1bd7073d7aaafe368551b8ace031957a.jpeg

• Thanks 1
On 11/11/2023 at 12:22 AM, noobiereef said:

What would be best?

I think you're going to have to experiment to see what's best for your layout.  Using a little flake food as a "flow indicator" can help you get an idea of how things are flowing.  Remember that one of the main objects of flow is to keep food from descending into the rock and sand bed.   So if you see flake gathering anywhere, you know you need something different for flow.  Flow has to be able to move heavier things than flake food (eg poop) too, so keep in mind the flake is just a reference.

Also, what's "correct" now at the beginning probably won't be correct forever (if you're going to be growing corals).

Also, seems like you should be able to run the cables out the back of the tank even with the pump on the side.  Just might take a little ingenuity. 😉 👍

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to piggyback here....if you hate seeing wires in your take, you may also want to consider a Vortech Mp10. Uses magnets instead of wires. This would essentially be a costly aesthetic change, but a good option.