inTank Media Baskets

Reefbeat rs50 light

nickg2612

Hi all, im new to this I've set up tank running reafbeat rs50 light and getting bad light shimmer seeing if there is a way to reduce this as looks like a disco in tank appreciate any suggestions to help with this please  Screenshot_20231106_195745_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4002ff38eeeb65853b9625a9f2f77d69.jpg

Not familiar with the light but I think the best way to DIY a solution here is to cut a piece of frosted acrylic and fix it under the LEDS. It will reduce the intensity of the light a bit but it will definitely reduce the amount of disco effect/shimmer you're seeing.

Wondering if you're talking about seeing LED color-separation on the tank's features (commonly referred to as "disco effect)....

....or if you're talking about seeing patterns of white lines that are commonly referred to as "glitter lines" or "flicker effects", which are also commonly seen in swimming pools?

Taking those two phenomena in reverse order...

"Glitter lines" are natural....and cool!  They are created by motion at the water's surface.  Glitter lines are one of the main features folks like about single chip LED's (and halides back in the day).   Create a calm surface in your tank to moderate (or eliminate) them, if you want.  Switching to a non-point source light, such as LED bars/strips, would also lessen (or eliminate) them.  

"Disco effect" bothers some folks, not others.  It isn't natural, but it also doesn't bother corals.  It's a lot more common on discreet-LED lights than on single-chip lights like yours, where it should be more or less nonexistent.  Let me know if this is what you're talking about.  (Using a diffuser, as mentioned in another post, may help.)