ReefCleaners.org

Lighting needed? 20 gallon hex

Trillaman954

What light works best for this build? It’s a topfin 20 gallon hex. It’s 24 inches deep. I plan on having many hard and soft corals. It currently has the t5 it came with and an 8 watt Arsenic blue I bought for it. Will these lights be enough or do I need to upgrade for the corals I want. 

image.jpg

i'd upgrade, but what's the budget? It also depends on what you want to do with the hood/lid. Most of the LED upgrades are designed to be mounted a little higher off the water

AI Prime (265)

AI Hyrda 32 ($429) overkill

Kessil a160 ($259)

radion xr15 g6 ($529) overkill

reefbreeders nano ($170)

Red Sea ReefLED 90 ($390)

Red Sea ReefLED 50 ($250)

1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

i'd upgrade, but what's the budget? It also depends on what you want to do with the hood/lid. Most of the LED upgrades are designed to be mounted a little higher off the water

AI Prime (265)

AI Hyrda 32 ($429) overkill

Kessil a160 ($259)

radion xr15 g6 ($529) overkill

reefbreeders nano ($170)

Red Sea ReefLED 90 ($390)

Red Sea ReefLED 50 ($250)

how about Red Sea vs ai prime? And can’t I just turn down the ai just 32?

If you can afford the premium lights they are by far the best... like Aqua Illumination, and Ecotech. 

But they will cost you A LOT.  

If you want a more budget approach and don't mind not being able to fine dial the colors, hipargero, and Lominie, which you can find on Amazon are excellent value for its price.  

I have run Lomie's on a transition tank, before i move them over to my main display tank so i don't bleach out the corals or need to dial down my main tank, and like them very much.  

For example, this hiargero should be enough for your tank and comes with a arm on top, which none of the premium lights will have, unless you buy them as addon accessories. 

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Aquarium-Light-Hipargero-Saltwater/dp/B09V4M7CHW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=FX7RPNLZB7N7&keywords=reef+lighting&qid=1697575951&sprefix=reef+lighting%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-1

And this Lominie is what i use on my Acclimating tank. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B4NQ3H7/ref=twister_B0C57CBW1L?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

But by all means, if you can afford the Radion xr15 g6 go for it.

They are the best lights i have ever owned period.  

You can always take it with you on your next build when you want a bigger tank with a sump.