SaltCritters.com

Trying to come back...

Hugo_Fish

Hey guys! trying to come back after a 15 year break... I currently live in an apartment complex with strict pet rules meaning 1 cat or 1 dog, This might be a stupid question but is there anyone else here that lives in an apartment with strict pet rule? if so, how did you get the opportunity to have a tank? To be honest I believe I can get by with something smaller then 10 gallons. 

Thanks guys ! hoping to be back miss it so much.

• Like 1

Pet limitations are typical.  (Thankfully!!)

There are usually just tank size limits, but they could be restricted altogether.  Ask the apartment complex to be sure.

TheKleinReef
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

(Thankfully!!)

thankfully for who? not the renter that's for sure, tf?

OP, i would be upfront with the landlord, and I would highly suggest looking into some of the protection options like the waterdog/apex water sensors as backup to show the landlord that you're minimizing risk. They may be more leinent if you have some sort of water damage protection system whether it's an audible alarm/notification/automatic shut offs. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Every apartment I've ever lived at had strict pet rules and I never had a problem keeping a nano. If you have a 20g or smaller, nobody is going to say anything unless there is something that specifically forbids fish tanks. And if there is anything that specifically forbids fish tanks, do a fishless nano with shrimp and you will not be breaking the lease.

The only person who will ever potentially give you up is the maintenance guy, but if you leave a 6 pack and a thank you note next time the maintenance guy comes to change the air filters, you'll never have to worry about them!

3 hours ago, jservedio said:

Every apartment I've ever lived at had strict pet rules and I never had a problem keeping a nano. If you have a 20g or smaller, nobody is going to say anything unless there is something that specifically forbids fish tanks. And if there is anything that specifically forbids fish tanks, do a fishless nano with shrimp and you will not be breaking the lease.

The only person who will ever potentially give you up is the maintenance guy, but if you leave a 6 pack and a thank you note next time the maintenance guy comes to change the air filters, you'll never have to worry about them!

That's what I was thinking.. no fish just corals and shrimp.. 

I feel like if your complex doesn't explicitly state no aquariums, it's probably okay to keep a smaller tank. Hell between me and my roommate we have 6 nano tanks running at our apartment, even had the maintenance people over a few times and they didn't even look twice at the tanks

Maybe it's one of those beg for forgiveness instead of ask for permission instances.. security deposit or not lol

On 10/3/2023 at 12:07 AM, Jaren45 said:

I feel like if your complex doesn't explicitly state no aquariums, it's probably okay to keep a smaller tank. Hell between me and my roommate we have 6 nano tanks running at our apartment, even had the maintenance people over a few times and they didn't even look twice at the tanks

Maybe it's one of those beg for forgiveness instead of ask for permission instances.. security deposit or not lol

I need to re-look over the pet rules. I do not remember it saying anything about fish... To be honest, I always liked the hobby as it kept my hands busy instead of breaking the engine of my car, never liked not fixing something if that makes sense.. always seems that I spent more money and time on my car fixing it than I ever did keeping up a reef tank in the past... I plan on starting up slowly, I always liked tinkering with technology as such I plan on making my own system using Reef-PI never going to say no to a useful tool, I want to get to a point where I can trust it. Then move on to a tank major tank planning. For right now, I know I want something small and corals and maybe a shrimp only.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 1:54 AM, Hugo_Fish said:

Hey guys! trying to come back after a 15 year break... I currently live in an apartment complex with strict pet rules meaning 1 cat or 1 dog, This might be a stupid question but is there anyone else here that lives in an apartment with strict pet rule? if so, how did you get the opportunity to have a tank? To be honest I believe I can get by with something smaller then 10 gallons. 

Thanks guys ! hoping to be back miss it so much.

Cubes tend to look smaller then they actually are...  so a 40G cube can pass as a 20Gallon tank depending on the angle a person looks at. 

A 26G flat back hex can look larger then a 40Breeder as well, so its a double edge sword.  

Just make sure you don't leak, and if you do have a fast contingency for it because there is a big difference between a 20g flood accident vs a 40g....