ReefCleaners.org

Question about beneficial bacteria without oxygen

dottybackss

I was doing maintenance on my canister filter but forgot to plug in the power cord until now. The bio media were without oxygen in the canister with water for about 48 hours and I knew that a lot of beneficial bacteria had died already but are the bio media still good to use and will have the same performance in the future?

I'd rinse it out.  However, the media itself should be fine; and new nitrifying bacteria will colonize on it.  This shouldn't negatively affect its performance long term.  But it might take a couple of weeks to build up the populations again.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, seabass said:

I'd rinse it out.  However, the media itself should be fine; and new nitrifying bacteria will colonize on it.  This shouldn't negatively affect its performance long term.  But it might take a couple of weeks to build up the populations again.

Rinse with the tank water right? 

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, there would be little benefit to adding bottled bacteria.  All of your hard surfaces colonize nitrifying bacteria, so you should have plenty; plus, it's been over a week, so your biological media has live bacteria.  One could even argue that you should remove the biological media and let your live rock (and other hard surfaces, like the tank walls, substrate, and equipment) be your tank's biological filter.  Either way, no need to worry (or to add more bacteria).