Pod Your Reef

Eco Chic Waterproof Refugium LED Light 8831 in the overflow of my Waterbox 10

axiomdata

Hello!

I'm a brand-new reef tank owner (3 months). I have a Waterbox 10 gallon with just a couple of clowns, a cleanup crew and I'll be getting an anemone soon. I'm also using a Nano Protein Skimmer. I found out about the Eco Chic Waterproof Refugium LED Light 8831.00 while spending too much time looking at reef videos on YouTube. This led me to finding out about how a Refugium can pretty much replace a skimmer and filter sock.

My question is: would it be realistic to take my Nano Protein skimmer out of the overflow and replace it with a Macro Algae refugium lit up from the side with the Eco Chic Waterproof Refugium LED Light 8831.00 submersed on the side?

I'm not sure if 1) It would fit and 2) is the area large enough to experience the benefits of a refugium. I appreciate your experience and feedback and would welcome and experience you may have had setting up something similar with a 10-gallon tank.

Thanks again!

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

Although some people seem very definitive in their opinions, our reefing methods often just come down to personal preferences.  However, one of the differences between a skimmer and a refugium is that a skimmer won't remove inorganic nutrients, whereas macroalgae will consume both phosphate and nitrate.

Macroalgae refugiums became popular when people looked at nutrients as a problem.  Sure, unwanted algae utilizes these nutrients and grows faster when inorganic nutrients are present.  But the same is true for other photosynthetic animals such as coral and anemones.  Lack of nutrients often means slow growing and/or unhealthy corals and anemones.

So are the back chambers of your tank too small for a practical refugium?  While a refugium will likely perform minimal nutrient uptake, I wouldn't think it'd be worth trading in your skimmer for one.  But like I said, it often  comes down to person preference.

By the way, a host anemone (like a BTA, which is the smallest of the host anemones) would often be considered to grow too large for a tank like yours (especially if you plan on keeping any corals).  Some people might also consider your tank too young for an anemone, as they tend to do better in mature, well lit reef tanks.  But even this can be debatable given the proper care and coral selection.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/13/2023 at 11:38 PM, axiomdata said:

This led me to finding out about how a Refugium can pretty much replace a skimmer and filter sock.

"Can" ≠ "should".  👍

IMO a skimmer, refugium and filter socks are not redundant to each other, they are complimentary (and optional) to a protein skimmer.   A lighted refugium is a further mod of the standard refugium, which is NOT lit.

I'd choose look at the situation the other way....where a skimmer is the base line.  (It's long term costs and maintenance levels are the lowest, to name two reasons.)  

If you need more mechanical filtration, and wet-skimming won't "get it", then you can add a supplemental system.....such as a filter sock or refugium or macro-algae.  All three have different pro's and con's in addressing mechanical filtering, depeding on your overall needs and strategy.