Coral Vue Hydros

Weird Looking Aptaisia or Something Else?

Crusher895

If you look under my wheelers goby you can see this kind of neon green hair connected to what looks like aptaisia. Just 2 days ago I added in 3 corals to my tank that were purchased from corals anonymous. I did use coral revive cleaner on them but it was 1 year expired so I am not sure if it got the job done. I am pretty confident it isn't aptaisia because of its size and color but what do you guys think? Is it just aptaisia that just started growing?

IMG_2873.jpg

Remind me of “colonial hydroids.” Some people say they spread and bother nearby corals. Some seem to have no issues with them. I think there are different types that look similar, but I’m not one to know proper scientific names. Maybe someone else can chime in. 

There are plenty of reef-associated hydroids (one life-phase of a type of jellyfish) that probably would not bother corals...so there's no need to worry unless they actually seem to be a problem.  

Also, I can't think of any tanks where they didn't die out on their own after a short while.  Avoid broadcast feeding (and overfeeding) if you want to hasten their demise.