SaltCritters.com

Suggestions for new fish!

ryans.salty.crew

ryans.salty.crew

Hello everyone! I have a 13.5g that had a Timor Wrasse and a clown fish in it recently (I know fish police, but they lived fine)! I went to my LFS and traded, they have 350 fish coming in on Wednesday and I have first pick of the new stock. Any suggestions on new fish!? My tank is very very stable and I dose copepods and have a small fug. in the rear. 

Please comment with any suggestions!!!!! I was thinking maybe 2, two spot signal gobbies. 

1 hour ago, 10g4Me said:

they have 350 fish coming in on Wednesday and I have first pick of the new stock.

As long as the LFS keeps a good fish system, I like to watch the fish in THEIR tanks for a good while before bringing it home.  (ie. QT at the store.)

If (and only if) you've already had GOOD experiences QT'ing at home, then taking fish straight off of a new shipment might be reasonable.  (Again, IMO.)

1 hour ago, 10g4Me said:

Any suggestions on new fish!? My tank is very very stable and I dose copepods and have a small fug. in the rear. 

Since this is true, then if the fish are healthy when you get them, they could definitely go in the display directly and have the best shot.

As far as suggestions, why did you trade the fish you had?  Something you didn't like?  You probably have around 10 gallons of display space....so that definitely limits the choices.  I think you might have to roll the dice and just see what shows up in their shipment...unless you already know what they are getting.  What do you like (or think you will like) about two-spot signal gobies?

• Like 1
ryans.salty.crew
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

As long as the LFS keeps a good fish system, I like to watch the fish in THEIR tanks for a good while before bringing it home.  (ie. QT at the store.)

If (and only if) you've already had GOOD experiences QT'ing at home, then taking fish straight off of a new shipment might be reasonable.  (Again, IMO.)

Since this is true, then if the fish are healthy when you get them, they could definitely go in the display directly and have the best shot.

As far as suggestions, why did you trade the fish you had?  Something you didn't like?  You probably have around 10 gallons of display space....so that definitely limits the choices.  I think you might have to roll the dice and just see what shows up in their shipment...unless you already know what they are getting.  What do you like (or think you will like) about two-spot signal gobies?

I've had great experience with this before. They work with me pretty well.

I only got rid of the fish because they needed more space, they had been in there for so long! I love the signal goby because of its bright blue under fin and 2 spots on the top (SO COOL LOOKING). I'm def going to just check out what they got in. I might even do 1 mandarin. I'm def looking for some cool colors like the Timor wrasse had! 

(Noted that I hate demon clown fish 😀)

• Like 1

I think getting signal gobies to feed has been challenging for quite a few people.  You might get lucky with one that "just eats", but you might wanna be prepared to baby them with live pods and/or live baby brine shrimp just like you would a Mandarin.

Was your Clownfish biting you?  😄 

ryans.salty.crew

Give or take

The clown sometimes bit if I stuck my hand in the back to move coral around where his "home". He would also bully my wrasse sometimes. I've had 2 and they're just jerks in small tanks. They act completely different in 120g + tanks with bigger fish, they have little man syndrome. 😂

TODAY'S THE DAY. FISH DAY BABY!

• Like 1
ryans.salty.crew

Well, I picked up a pair of signal goby on Saturday and they have both jumped to their death within 2 days. I have a mesh lid on and they were able to squeeze through it. Crazy little things. I couldn't believe it.

Back to the drawing board

• Sad 1