Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is this aipstasia!!??

jmoney7

20 hours ago, jmoney7 said:

Is this aipstatia?

Looks like it.   Stop broadcast feeding, if you are.

You can glue him into his hole with (e.g.) superglue gel or epoxy – not a bad idea for this one given his position and the direction he's facing.  

The other option is to use something like Aptasia X which you "feed" to them – a good option for any that are more "upright" than this one.

45 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

The other option is to use something like Aptasia X which you "feed" to them – a good option for any that are more "upright" than this one.

do not do this. 

it will kill them too slowly and the stress will cause the aptasia to expel it's spores. causing an outbreak. 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

do not do this. 

it will kill them too slowly and the stress will cause the aptasia to expel it's spores. causing an outbreak. 

Not if used correctly. But it does need to be precise otherwise yes it will fuel an outbreak.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Murphs_Reef said:

Not if used correctly. But it does need to be precise otherwise yes it will fuel an outbreak.

I've heard that before...always made me wonder though since none of the aiptasia I've personally dealt with or head about have ever done this.  (And it's been a LOT of aiptasia over the years.)

So I'm wondering, and thinking...  🤔

For what it's worth, broadcast feeding and "doing nothing" are the ONLY "strategies" I've seen first hand (and online too) that actually cause aiptasia to spread. 😉 

But...

"Induction of Gametogenesis in the Cnidarian Endosymbiosis Model Aiptasia sp." from 2015 goes into details that are mostly very interesting...such as there being three main genetic lines of aiptasia in the world, each with different proclivities for spawning (or not).  It tells me that spreading sexually is hypothetically possible (if not very likely).  

But it still doesn't suggest that any kind of feeding event (eg aiptasia X treatment) would immediately trigger spawning.  (While they didn't test Aiptasia X, they DO go into detail on what DOES trigger it and what doesn't.)  

Meanwhile 2/3 of the Aiptasia in the study put out 5-10 "pedal" frags on average every week, regardless of how well they did with spawning.  

None of the rumors I've seen claimed 10,000 new aitpasia showed up...and that's the numbers they got in the study when spawning "went well".  The rumor numbers seem to correspond much better with the pedal laceration rates they saw in the study.  🤷‍♂️

Wondering if you interpret the study the same way?

• 6 months later...