ReefCleaners.org

Is this good placement for corals? And what is the best way to remove frag plugs?

RickvD

Hello everyone,

I got my first few corals and I'm not to sure how to remove them from the plugs. I know there are a lot of topics, but because most of them are zoa's, I'd rather be safe.

IMG_4775.thumb.jpeg.b4f33a7654a4fb4fc9b0c20091b21400.jpeg

My plan is a zoa garden on the right rock on the bottom. Then on the right side going upward I want some torches. Completely on the top and on the left I'm planning some easier SPS.

I got pictures of the corals, and what the best way is to remove them from the plug.

IMG_4772.thumb.jpeg.a9fa8caf4dd1553345524f923a37ece9.jpeg

For this one I think the best option is just cut off the stem? The plug itself is almost not even visible anymore.

IMG_4773.thumb.jpeg.ca2edab64c40b2cd822acb2c6f554575.jpeg

Should I try to pry it off the plug? Or is there a good way to cut the SPS from the plug? Not too sure on this one.

IMG_4771.thumb.jpeg.7f905eff0f58a3288a6d230ed5374954.jpeg

This one was closed on the picture, Looking at the amount of glue, this one should get cut of quite easy right?

IMG_4770.thumb.jpeg.45e1265f3db50b28d45c0e3c1702543d.jpegIMG_4774.thumb.jpeg.7fb72a7fd71a1eb2f60b4f8848c17dda.jpeg

These 2 are hard. The bottom picture the zoas are spread over the plug, and the top picture the plug has some sort of hole in the middle, meaning that the zoas themselves are really on the plug and I don't think I can really get between them.

All the help is really appreciated!

The monti could come off the plug,or the plug could be cut down with side cutters. 

What I like to do with zoa frags is place the plugs into a hole in the rockwork and let them spread off the plug as they grow. This way I can (in time)easily split up the colony.

Good morning!  First off I like the hole in the middle of your scape.

If the coral isn't crusted all over the plug It should just snap off with a little pressure.

If the coral is on a piece of rock, and the rock is glued to the plug it pops off pretty easy.

If the zoas are growing directly on the plug I would leave them and cut the plug base off.  They will grow over the plug and Hide it.

I hate the look of plugs.  I've cut harder corals at the base in the past if they are encrusting the plug (something like a digi or monti frag).

Final note, a cheap Amazon filter would make your picture much easier to see and enjoy for all of us 😀

Just to pile on the other good advice...

Anything that's stuck with superglue will come loose if a moderate lateral force can be applied to the glue/frag plug safely.

In other cases, depending on how concerned you are for the coral, it could be best to let if grow on the frag plug until you can safely frag the coral itself.  Place the frag you make, then do whatever you want with the plug-end of the coral....sell it.  🙂 

$0.02