inTank Media Baskets

Setting up new tank, can I "cure" the dry rock I have in the tank while the tank is cycling or should I cure and cycle separate?? Thanks!

Ductman23

I am setting up a 75 gal mixed tank, I've got a pile of old rock that was in the tank prior to me owning it. I'm starting fresh with new sand and equipment, but am unsure if I can "cure" the rock in the tank as the tank is cycled? Any pointers?? Thanks! 

You can cure the rock in the tank as it's cycling but be prepared to do some large water changes as there's likely a lot of organics in the used rock that is going to be released into the water column. 

On 8/25/2023 at 7:18 PM, Ductman23 said:

I am setting up a 75 gal mixed tank, I've got a pile of old rock that was in the tank prior to me owning it. I'm starting fresh with new sand and equipment, but am unsure if I can "cure" the rock in the tank as the tank is cycled? Any pointers?? Thanks! 

First reef?

First saltwater?

First fish tank?

75 Gallons is a really nice size – one of my favorite fish tank sizes!

Getting some live rock would be a better start, if that can be considered.

Resurrecting your dead rock as live rock isn't really possible, but it can still be used as bio-media to start up the tank.  Instead of live rock, it will basically be a bio-filter that's capable of denitrification.  "Bio blocks" made of coral skeleton.

Dead rock tends to be algae-prone since it's either completely bare and unprotected, or it's only covered by the slightest bio-film.  Very friendly to green algae and other pest settlement.

IMO, using live rock is easier as well as better.  Using dead rock is cheaper "up front", but on average way harder to be successful with...so it's hard to say it's "better" in any meaningful way.

Thanks for the reply, first reef and saltwater tank. Have had freshwater tanks all my life, (I'm 40). A friend of mine gave me his set up, after just asking for advice on a 40 gal tank I already have. Came with a sump, all his rock, lights, pumps, skimmer etc. But, all the equipment has been scrapped because there are no replacement parts for skimmer and lights and pumps were busted. I can easily figure out why his tank cashed years ago... any rate, I've got the rock "curing" In a brute can, as suggested by bfs. I've added fritz turbo start yesterday. The process has started I'm guessing. Any tips for moving forward with the dead rock? All of the rock is HUGE dead coral colonies if that matters? 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:56 AM, Ductman23 said:

Thanks for the reply, first reef and saltwater tank. Have had freshwater tanks all my life, (I'm 40). A friend of mine gave me his set up, after just asking for advice on a 40 gal tank I already have. Came with a sump, all his rock, lights, pumps, skimmer etc. But, all the equipment has been scrapped because there are no replacement parts for skimmer and lights and pumps were busted. I can easily figure out why his tank cashed years ago... any rate, I've got the rock "curing" In a brute can, as suggested by bfs. I've added fritz turbo start yesterday. The process has started I'm guessing. Any tips for moving forward with the dead rock? All of the rock is HUGE dead coral colonies if that matters? 

Can you post a pic of what the rock looks like now?

More than likely, unless it's visibly "dirty", you can probably start using it to cycle a tank right now.  (Per the instructions for your Turbo Start 900.  You may want to dose again when you add livestock.)

Beyond that, avoid lighting up the rock until the last possible moment.  Algae tends to have an advantage on dead rock (or any bare surface) anyway.  Real live rock would minimize that since it's mostly not-bare.  But in your case, you can at least delay the onset of algae by keeping the tank dark until you add corals or something else that needs it.  This will also theoretically allow more of a bacteria layer to develop on the rock, which is less than what live rock would provide, but definitely better than nothing.

You can also stock your cleanup crew around the time (or slightly before) you light the tank.   Focus on herbivore snails, not scavengers.

Things you may want to consider stocking BEFORE you light the tank are pods and other non-photosynthetic reef critters.  Things like what you see for sale here:  https://ipsf.com. (Especially the coralline algae booster AFTER you light the tank)....but also just about everything they offer.  Not required, per se, but additions like these can add MUCH reef-ness to dead rock that is otherwise little more than "nicely shaped" bio-media.  (There are other vendors that sell similar stuff.)