Cultivated Reef

Help stocking 29 gal

fishlove

I am starting up a 29 gallon nano-reef.  I "rescued" a yellowtail damsel and a coral beauty angel from another person before their aquarium took a dive.  First of all, I do want to say that I am a newb at saltwater and reefing but have extensive experience with freshwater aquariums (namely Blackwater Biotopes and African Cichlids, but others as well).  I currently have the two above mentioned fish in separate qt tanks but would like to put them in together in the standard 29 gal. 

I have been doing research and learning all that I can about saltwater and reefs for the past two years (but as of yet) still have no hands on experience.  I have managed to keep the two fish alive now for 2 months.  I am currently saving for a 160 gallon with Sump System but I believe it will be another year or two before that becomes a reality.  Until then, I thought I might get my feet wet and have some hands on experience with a nano-reef.

As stated, I currently have 1 Yellowtail Damsel (which I understand can be aggressive and territorial) and a Coral Beauty Angel.  What other fish can I add to the mix (if any) and what are some good recomendations for corals that a newbie might learn with and have some success with?  I do intend to move them to the larger setup (whenever that may be).  I do not want to overstock this 29 gallon however.  I just want to get my hands wet and learn first.  I care more about the success of the tank and the overall stress levels and comfort of the inhabitants rather than any particular look.

I will be running a Sicce Whale 200 Canister Filter, an AquaMaxx Bullet-2 Skimmer, a CPR Aquatics Small Aquafuge 2, 2 - Current USA E-flux 660 wave pumps, and a Current USA Orbit Marine 24-36" light (I believe these are only rated, for softies, LPS and low light SPS). 

I do intend on having a basic CUC as well.  I would like to have a cleaner shrimp if possible and/or a sand sifting goby, but am unsure if a new tank can sustain them or if this aquarium is even able to handle them.  As far as the corals, I think they are all beautiful and interesting but I did take a liking to alot of the Zoa's.  Again, am unsure if they would be a wise move in this setup.

So is there any suggestions based on the above?  What can I add that would give me some basic experience and some enjoyment?

Thank you in advance!!

On 8/22/2023 at 12:51 PM, fishlove said:

I am starting up a 29 gallon nano-reef.  I "rescued" a yellowtail damsel and a coral beauty angel from another person before their aquarium took a dive.  First of all, I do want to say that I am a newb at saltwater and reefing but have extensive experience with freshwater aquariums (namely Blackwater Biotopes and African Cichlids, but others as well).  I currently have the two above mentioned fish in separate qt tanks but would like to put them in together in the standard 29 gal. 

QT is for fish coming from stressed origins.  If they were healthy in the tank you got them from, then they should go into a healthy pre-prepped display tank, not a QT tank.   QT tanks tend to be very stressful, and depending on the setup are usually best for medicating only.  A real QT tank (for longer term housing and observation) has to be set up like at least a basic full fledged fish tank....including a little bit of rock and some fake plants.

I have been doing research and learning all that I can about saltwater and reefs for the past two years (but as of yet) still have no hands on experience.  I have managed to keep the two fish alive now for 2 months.  I am currently saving for a 160 gallon with Sump System but I believe it will be another year or two before that becomes a reality.  Until then, I thought I might get my feet wet and have some hands on experience with a nano-reef.

Some books are the best foundation to build from....and it's never too late to pick some up!  🙂 

As stated, I currently have 1 Yellowtail Damsel (which I understand can be aggressive and territorial) and a Coral Beauty Angel.

Both have a similar reputation.  Neither is in the "most aggressive" category though.   Yellowtails are among the most peaceful Damsefish.

What other fish can I add to the mix (if any) and what are some good recomendations for corals that a newbie might learn with and have some success with?  I do intend to move them to the larger setup (whenever that may be).  I do not want to overstock this 29 gallon however.  I just want to get my hands wet and learn first.  I care more about the success of the tank and the overall stress levels and comfort of the inhabitants rather than any particular look.

A lower bio-load is better than a high bio-load.  Fewer fish is better.  None is the easiest.  (I.e. coral-only)  And corals are much easier than fish.

I will be running a Sicce Whale 200 Canister Filter, an AquaMaxx Bullet-2 Skimmer, a CPR Aquatics Small Aquafuge 2, 2 - Current USA E-flux 660 wave pumps, and a Current USA Orbit Marine 24-36" light (I believe these are only rated, for softies, LPS and low light SPS). 

You should probably avoid the freshwater gear like the canister filter.

Does the 29 gallon have a light built in?  What are the tank's dimensions?

A plain Orbit Marine is usually fine for "most corals" on a shallow tank around 12" deep or less.  But for a deeper tank, two of them (aka one of their Dual setups) is recommended.

I do intend on having a basic CUC as well.

Focus on herbivores....mostly snails.  E.g. Turbo, Trochus, Astrea, etc.

Don't overdo it on the scavengers.  E.g.  Nassarius, Hermit crabs, etc.

I would like to have a cleaner shrimp if possible and/or a sand sifting goby, but am unsure if a new tank can sustain them or if this aquarium is even able to handle them.

Cleaner shrimps are regular livestock vs cleanup crew....and your tank should be fine with one.

Sand sifting gobies need much larger tanks in most cases, and can be quite disturbing to corals.

As far as the corals, I think they are all beautiful and interesting but I did take a liking to alot of the Zoa's.  Again, am unsure if they would be a wise move in this setup.

I would just avoid deciding on a coral because you think it's "beginner friendly" or anything like that.   Most "beginner corals" behave like weeds – you can't get rid of them once you have them.

If there are other corals you think you might like, consider them as well before making any decisions.

That said, zoanthids aren't the easiest, but they are in the easy category with a lot of other corals.  They do tend to be more moody than most corals....happy (or not) for what usually seems like no reason at all.

So is there any suggestions based on the above?  What can I add that would give me some basic experience and some enjoyment?

For maximum enjoyment, just try to keep it simple wherever possible.  Remember that the basic setup is lights+live rock+flow+skimmer.  Variations on that theme are usually more work.  Reef tanks are a lot of work....don't add to it needlessly!  (Lots of folks do.  Most regret it.)

Thank you in advance!!

Good luck!!!

sam_the_reefer
On 8/23/2023 at 12:51 AM, fishlove said:

As stated, I currently have 1 Yellowtail Damsel (which I understand can be aggressive and territorial) and a Coral Beauty Angel.  What other fish can I add to the mix (if any) and what are some good recomendations for corals that a newbie might learn with and have some success with?  I do intend to move them to the larger setup (whenever that may be).  I do not want to overstock this 29 gallon however.  I just want to get my hands wet and learn first.  I care more about the success of the tank and the overall stress levels and comfort of the inhabitants rather than any particular look.

I do intend on having a basic CUC as well.  I would like to have a cleaner shrimp if possible and/or a sand sifting goby, but am unsure if a new tank can sustain them or if this aquarium is even able to handle them.  As far as the corals, I think they are all beautiful and interesting but I did take a liking to alot of the Zoa's.  Again, am unsure if they would be a wise move in this setup.

Thank you in advance!!

My old yellowtail damsel liked to dig and my old coral beauty liked to graze on algae. Both tend to be aggressive and territorial when established so I suggest you add them and the one other fish you plan to add at the same time. The cleaner shrimp sounds like a good plan, and the equipment should be good enough to get your hands/feet wet. Zoas shouldn't be a problem (depending on the variety). You can also try out Discosoma (shrooms) and/or toadstool leathers.  

Hi there! Welcome to Nano-Reef!!

:welcome:

Looks like you've gotten a lot of good info so far. One thing I wanted to mention for your consideration as a new reefer is to be sure to read up on palytoxin risks before adding zoas or palys to your tank. I choose not to keep them myself because I don't want the worry. I do know people firsthand who have experienced palytoxin poisoning, so it really does happen, though many hobbyists minimize the potential risk. The good news is, if you decide to forgo the zoas and palys, there are lots of other amazing corals out there to choose from.

Here's an article I read when I was setting up my first tank, it was published in Coral magazine at the time:

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/palytoxin-in-the-marine-aquarium/