ReefCleaners.org

All For Reef - Dosing from bottle

ogdlow

Quick question from a newbie. ..I am considering using All for Reef for my 20g RSM Nano.  When using All For Reef, can i use the same bottle that it comes in and just drill a hole through the cap to insert my dosing line into the bottle? 

TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, ogdlow said:

Quick question from a newbie. ..I am considering using All for Reef for my 20g RSM Nano.  When using All For Reef, can i use the same bottle that it comes in and just drill a hole through the cap to insert my dosing line into the bottle? 

You could yeah, but i'd also drill a tiny tiny hole to allow air to get into the bottle as your dosing pump pumps the AFR from the bottle.

Also, I recommend mixing the AFR yourself as the bang for your buck is wayyyyyy greater when you mix it compared to buying the liquid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
On 8/22/2023 at 8:03 AM, ogdlow said:

As long as the product doesn't require shaking or stirring as part of its regular dosing instructions, it should be fine.

• Like 1

Certainly, you can modify the All for Reef bottle for dosing in your 20g RSM Nano by drilling a hole through the cap to insert your dosing line. However, there are a few considerations you should keep in mind:

Hygiene: Make sure that the hole you create is clean and precise to prevent any contaminants from entering the solution.

Sealing: Ensure that the hole you create doesn't compromise the seal of the bottle cap.

Dosing Line Material: Use appropriate dosing lines that are compatible with the solution.

Monitoring: Regularly inspect the dosing line, hole, and bottle cap to ensure they are free from any blockages, leaks, or contamination.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:50 AM, TheKleinReef said:

You could yeah, but i'd also drill a tiny tiny hole to allow air to get into the bottle as your dosing pump pumps the AFR from the bottle.

Yep, you don't want an air tight seal or you'll create a vacuum (which will either eventually collapse the bottle or prevent the dosing pump from working).  Drilling the hole a little bigger than the tubing should suffice.  I'd use some rigid tubing in the bottle (cut at an angle) so that it stays in place, goes all the way to the bottom, and the hole doesn't sit flush against the bottom.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:38 AM, mcarroll said:

As long as the product doesn't require shaking or stirring as part of its regular dosing instructions, it should be fine.

Good point.  If it says to shake before using, I'd try to shake the bottle daily.

• Agree 1