Innovative Marine Aquariums

Revamping the Aquascape: Ensuring Sufficient Rock for the Tank

RickvD

Hello everyone,

Currently, my 15-gallon tank contains approximately 15 lbs of rock. However, I'm not satisfied with the current scape and would like to create the one I truly desire.

I came across a company that offers the perfect rock work I want, almost in the ideal size, but it only weighs 5.5 lbs.

My concern is whether my existing bio balls in the sump will be sufficient to support the required amount of bacteria if I replace the 15 lbs of rock with the 5.5 lbs. Additionally, I'd like to know the best approach to bring the "dead" rock to life before introducing it into the tank. I'm worried about any potential negative impacts on the tank's ecosystem if I remove 15 lbs of live rock and replace it with 5.5 lbs of dead rock.

It's worth noting that my tank only houses 1 coral, 2 fish, and some snails. Any advice or guidance on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

23 hours ago, RickvD said:

Hello everyone,

Currently, my 15-gallon tank contains approximately 15 lbs of rock. However, I'm not satisfied with the current scape and would like to create the one I truly desire.

I came across a company that offers the perfect rock work I want, almost in the ideal size, but it only weighs 5.5 lbs.

My concern is whether my existing bio balls in the sump will be sufficient to support the required amount of bacteria if I replace the 15 lbs of rock with the 5.5 lbs. Additionally, I'd like to know the best approach to bring the "dead" rock to life before introducing it into the tank. I'm worried about any potential negative impacts on the tank's ecosystem if I remove 15 lbs of live rock and replace it with 5.5 lbs of dead rock.

It's worth noting that my tank only houses 1 coral, 2 fish, and some snails. Any advice or guidance on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

There are a few problems/questions...

It sounds like the tank is already running with coral and fish.  

If so, I would expect problems unless the new rock you're looking at is verifiably good, fully cured live rock.

Dead rock is inert bio-media.

Using dead rock will be like starting a new fish tank with an under gravel filter.  

When you're done cycling, it will be more or less like an under gravel filter.

In sharp contrast, live rock is live rock.  Filtering capacity will already be there (maybe even with only 5 pounds...depends on the rest of your bio load), but barely qualifies as one of live rock's important "features".  It's the microalgae and other microorganisms from the ocean that make it live rock.  The bigger and more diverse the organisms, the better your live rock....but even live rock that seems "clean" will still host a diversity of microorganisms that cycled dead rock will not.  Diversity = reef.  Bacteria = filter media.

Just to clarify, your 15 gallon has a sump?   And in the sump you have a wet/dry setup with bio-balls?? 🤔

More details on the exact setup (ie, approximate actual flow rate, wet-dry size, a picture) would help me to give you an opinion.  👍

Also, what are your two fish?

17 hours ago, mcarroll said:

There are a few problems/questions...

It sounds like the tank is already running with coral and fish.  

If so, I would expect problems unless the new rock you're looking at is verifiably good, fully cured live rock.

Dead rock is inert bio-media.

Using dead rock will be like starting a new fish tank with an under gravel filter.  

When you're done cycling, it will be more or less like an under gravel filter.

In sharp contrast, live rock is live rock.  Filtering capacity will already be there (maybe even with only 5 pounds...depends on the rest of your bio load), but barely qualifies as one of live rock's important "features".  It's the microalgae and other microorganisms from the ocean that make it live rock.  The bigger and more diverse the organisms, the better your live rock....but even live rock that seems "clean" will still host a diversity of microorganisms that cycled dead rock will not.  Diversity = reef.  Bacteria = filter media.

Just to clarify, your 15 gallon has a sump?   And in the sump you have a wet/dry setup with bio-balls?? 🤔

More details on the exact setup (ie, approximate actual flow rate, wet-dry size, a picture) would help me to give you an opinion.  👍

Also, what are your two fish?

Hello,

the tank is a waterbox peninsula 15. In the middle chamber I have a bag of plastic balls that came with the tank. I however also have enough live rock. I just hope I can remove a part of the rock, and the balls can handle the needed bacteria. I have 2 normal clowns and a friend gave me a coral a few days ago. Havn’t decided on a location for it yet.

• Like 2
On 8/8/2023 at 4:30 AM, RickvD said:

Hello,

the tank is a waterbox peninsula 15. In the middle chamber I have a bag of plastic balls that came with the tank. I however also have enough live rock. I just hope I can remove a part of the rock, and the balls can handle the needed bacteria. I have 2 normal clowns and a friend gave me a coral a few days ago. Havn’t decided on a location for it yet.

The rock OR the bio-balls should either be OK to carry the whole tank under "easy" conditions.

With two clownfish you're pushing the envelope on bio-load a bit for the size of tank....so your case could be borderline, but probably still OK.  Keep food inputs moderate or low overall, while keeping the clowns well fed.  (No broadcast feeding, for example.)

• Like 1