ReefCleaners.org

Yellow Thing

SunnySam

Hi all,

I've been a lurker here for a long time. But now I have a question. I see this yellow thing in my aquarium from time to time, circled red in the picture. Sorry for the poor quality. It looks like some sort of sponge, but it moves. It's speed is around 2 inches per day. It's about the size of a dime. It makes me think of a marine slime mold, but I don't think any such thing exists? Any idea of what it is?

Thank you.

YellowThing.jpeg

Are you sure its actually moving, like changing its position, and not just simply growing? Some sponges can grow incredibly fast under ideal conditions.

It seems it's moving to me. Attached is a picture taken today, about 24h from the one earlier. Got the flash to work this time. The position from the earlier picture is circled in blue, near the portion of rock with a spot lacking coralline algae. Current position in red circle. I first saw it a few weeks ago. Seems about the same size as before. 

YellowThing2.jpeg

PXL_20221231_020448226.thumb.jpg.62bd601a484a35be3eb0b38361570dbb.jpg

Anything like this? I had one of these in my 3g a while back, I believe it was a Vayssierea (felins?) or something very similar.

It disappeared after about a week and did no damage. From what I can find they either eat spirobids, or algae?

I don't understand how "Mr Yellow" is blurry in every photo, yet the things surrounding him are crystal clear?

As it stands it looks like a snail, a nudibranch, a sponge.....and lint. 😉 

Can you get a better pic?

• Agree 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi again,

After 12 years, aquarium started leaking. Moved everything to a new tank a few weeks ago. Almost everything survived the move, but wasn't sure about the yellow thing. However, it popped up today on the front glass. Appears to be a type of limpet? Now it's the size of a quarter. 

Sunny.

YellowThing1.jpeg

YellowThing2.jpeg

• Like 1