Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

lighting requirement

kalireef

currently I am running a total of 56w but I doubt that this is enough for this big guy? Need help! Tanks been up and running for about 5 months, but LS and LR came from an established tank.

Is that in a 12G nano? Well you have about 4.6W per gallon. That's pretty good light IMO. But to be honest I dont know much about that coral. Is that a frogspawn *spelling*?

Hi, that would be sufficient light for most soft corals but if you are trying to keep sps or lps such as your coral that you pictured, you would need more. I would recommend 5 1/2 to 6 watts per gallon.

Cesar: this is currently in my cube but I wasn't sure if it would be ok. I moved it to a spot where it has low/-medium flow so I hope that it helps.

Regal: I'm thinking of upgrading yet again to another 32w hopefully that would be able to allow me to keep this in the tank... if I can't I can always put it in my friends tank for the time being until I get my custom tank in December.

Anyone else know about this coral? This is a macro shot, I will post it complete later.

it is plenty of light, you are actually radiating about 5.89 watts per gallon. The tank itself is 9.5 gallons and there are two gallons in the rear compartment. I have 56watts on my nano and I have some branching montipora doing great...

Guys,

I hate to bring this up, but watts per gallon isn't really a good measure of intensity. The intensity of the light is proportional to the distance the object receiving the light is from the source. I am not a math major, but I think common sense tells you that my in my 15H the critters at the bottom would receive less light that the critters at the bottom of a regular 15 with the same light over it. So in practice watts per gallon is not a good measurment.

Not sure what coral that is, but it doesn't look like a frogspawn to me...

Mark

by the way, it is a goniopora, an LPS (large-polyped stony). they are not as much demading upon light requirements as SPS (small polyped stony) such as acropora.

good luck with the gonipora, hardest coral to keep out there and it requires a whole lotta light, I made the mistake of buying one and gave it away to someone who has had a system going for over 10 years and metal halide lighting in hopes that it may survive as most die within a year

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=466

I think i wanna join the gonipora police force if they are looking for any recruits I would love to be a member of the squad

sounds like I have my work cut out for me. If I see that it is not doing good I will take it back to the LFS and trade... It would be too difficult to part with though.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody knows what the requirements are for keeping goniopora corals. It is a fact that some goniopora corals are found in dark areas of the reef that no light can reach it. What ever you do, do not expose goniopora to the air for a long period of time. It is better to not expose them to air at all because if air get's trapped in thier sell structures, it could deprive the coral from transporting food through it's cells, and could cause the coral to die of starvation and disease.

Most if not all goniaporas sold in the aquarium trade require medium water flow and indirect VHO Or Halide lighting. Not all but most. THey also are waste eating corals. THats why they are found at the base of most reef systems and are shaped like a ball. They grab fish waste and decaying matter and thrive on it.

THats is in my own experience the main reason why they cannot be kept alive in a closed captive reef. Introducing watse is a big no no.

I could be realy realy wrong, but I saw one get totaly revide at my LFS when th eowner recieved one that was crapped out on arival and he put it in a seperate holding tank with VHO lighting. Then every day hed dosed it with a little detrius and phyto.

Seriously. ;) Just About Fish .com Ask for Gorge he is the man that did it.

Salty,

Sounds like you are pretty knowledgable about this "hard to keep" coral. So far it does not seem to be doing good as I'm now seeing a patch of the polyps gone and the skeleton is exposed :(

Is there anyway of this coral regenerating it back?

I did hear from another reeefer that these were waste eating corals, and I was like nah?? So periodically I stir up the sand bed in hopes that some of the detrius stays suspended in the water so it can catch it as it flies by...

Any suggestions?

Archived