Pod Your Reef

Building an "invisible" bracket for my hybrid light fixture

Spencer7

Tank: Red Sea Reefer: 170, 8 mm glass on sides

Lights: GHL Mitras in 24" AL Hybrid Fixture

Tank journal: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/413087-reefer-170-sps-bonsai-est-august-2020/

Problem

I moved the tank to a new apartment with higher ceilings that made it very difficult to hang the lights, so I needed another way to mount them above the tank. Aqua Illumination sells a bracket to go from the back of the tank, but it costs ~$150 and still has to be assembled. 

Solution

Laser cut and assemble my own bracket. Minimal components, simple assembly, use materials on-hand.

Parts

• 2x 1/2" thick pieces of acrylic (150 mm wide, 160 mm tall), 3 x 3 mm holes towards the bottom, a 1 cm deep, ~2.15 mm wide groove cut into the top edge
  • 4x 1/4" thick pieces of acrylic (150 mm wide, 20 mm tall), 3 x 3 mm holes towards the bottom
  • 6 x 1" long, 3 mm thick steel dowel rods 
  • Plastic weld
  • Some clamps
  • Double-sided gorilla glue tape 

Basically, I had all these materials at my apartment and at my university and was able to use some laser cutting equipment (plus a band saw) to make the cuts. The dowel rods give a little friction but also help to just line everything up. I used plastic weld to help laminate the three acrylic pieces (clamps keep pressure for a better bond). Since the 1/2" acrylic is wider than the 8 mm tank glass, I used double-sided tape to add a little more grip. The hybrid fixture frame sits in the groove of thick acrylic. If I had/used something like 3/8" acrylic for the center piece, the fit would be more snug but that >2 mm groove cut might result in fractures. That said, you could probably make the groove less deep and the mounts a little wider to keep everything plenty sturdy and avoid fracture. 

The final product sits about 7.5" inches above the water line and is very stable. It looks great. 

image.thumb.jpeg.68d6701f2dd1c5a8d4d340d36fbc4206.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.08e8d9cb242609c960598fcdfd30b14f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.18f85f02441d1bbbe5c214d4a537fb93.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e1a227d60e11aeaa0ae8ce815cef7a00.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.07015410d3da8ca3973cc8b687f308d8.jpeg

If you're reading this in 2023/2024 and really want a similar bracket for your fixture. I would probably be willing to sell and ship you the parts (dowels, acrylic, weld if needed).

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I love the look of it, but it seems like the amount of light hanging over in front and back would make it susceptible to tipping over (e.g.) if it were to get a bump.

Is it just the photo angle that makes it look this way?    I gather that the legs are about 6" wide – how much light sticks out in front and back?

50 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

I love the look of it, but it seems like the amount of light hanging over in front and back would make it susceptible to tipping over (e.g.) if it were to get a bump.

Is it just the photo angle that makes it look this way?    I gather that the legs are about 6" wide – how much light sticks out in front and back?

The fixture is just over 19" wide with one third floating in front, one third directly supported under, one third floating over back. I provided the bracket measurements above. 

I didn't risk $1k+ of equipment without being rough with the structure. 

You can push from the front or back and the tank moves before the lights move. The metal hybrid fixture is frame is really wedged into that acrylic groove, so it doesn't slide at all. The part resting on the tank edge doesn't slide either (enough friction from mass and gorilla tape). 

All to say, it's not a pendulum with some carefully tuned (and easily disrupted) center of mass. I'm actually much more comfortable with this setup than how my lights were previously fixed into the old dry wall ceiling of my other place. 

• Like 1