Pod Your Reef

Mitch’s 7G Mixed Reef Build

Mitch0605

Hi everyone

After a decade out of the hobby I’ve been sucked back in after about 6 months of tossing up starting a nano. Back in the day I had an old LPS and softies setup with some fish but I ended up giving it up as my interests changed. This hobby has such a way of drawing you back in though and here we are. 

This time out I wanted to go smaller for ease of maintenance and being able to accomodate in a rental home. After a bunch of reading I dug out an old cube, gave it a scrub and filled it with water. I’ve equipped it with a SeaChem Tidal 55 HOB, Nero 3 and an AI Prime 16HD, plus a heater and simple ATO. Luckily it also has a lid and evap has been negligible with it on. I’m amazed at how good the smart tech is for our hobby now. Definitely wasn’t like this last time!

I’ll preface this with it might not be the most popular decision but after a bunch of reading I decided to try a few things differently this time and go for a skip cycle. My LFS is excellent (heavily into aquaculture, local servicing etc) and had some great looking cured rock, so I’ve combined a dry scape with a bunch of scattered cured rock to seed it. The tank has been running for a week now and is consistently testing 0ppm ammonia and nitrites, and about 15ppm nitrates. The zoas I put in as indicators have been extremely happy (minus when the turbo snail mows over them) and I’m seeing diatoms come through now. I’m pleased to see this skip cycle seems to have worked. I’ll still be holding off on a fish for a week or so more to let the bio filter continue to build, but will add some more CUC (first turbo was a hitchhiker) to tackle the diatoms and corals. 

That’s pretty much it for now, I’ll keep updating this thread as more critters arrive in the reef. If anyone has any tips for taking photos of your tank under LEDs please let me know. I’m not doing well. 

Great to be back, I hope some of you enjoy following this little journal. 

IMG_8578.jpeg

IMG_8571.jpeg

IMG_8581.jpeg

IMG_8580.jpeg

IMG_8579.jpeg

• Like 2

Picked up a couple of new corals and some bonus Turbos today to combat some flare ups. 

Grabbed a nice hammer with two heads and a small pocillopora to see how it would fare. Long term plan is to have an sps waterfall down the tank so have to start somewhere. 

After some testing I think I really need a fish or two as my nitrates and phosphates are sitting at basically 0-2ppm, so I’ll be looking at a tiny ocellaris and possibly a clown goby

IMG_8584.jpeg

IMG_8585.jpeg

IMG_8586.jpeg

A couple more new additions to the crew. I’ve picked up a Monti frag to grow out as a shelf, and an awesome ultra acan that is happily feeding and looking good. 

I also picked up a yellow clown goby (named Coby) who’s been feeding and is looking happy. I’ve seen him look sideways at the pocillopora once or twice but seems only when he’s hungry. 

My diatoms (maybe dinos? Haven’t done the test but look similar) have been backing off and nutrients are holding steady with nitrates 10 and phosphates still 0. Trying to bring that up a touch. I have some Dr Time coming to dose with and hopefully get some better bacteria into to nail whatever is growing. 

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_8603.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_8600.jpeg

• Like 1

Quick update on the tank. Everything is progressing nicely.

Dr Tim’s has seen the dinos reduced with little in the way of other treatments. I’ll continue to dose it till they’re gone but I’m not rushing it and only doing half recommended doses. 

My pocillopora has shown some great growth already which I’m stoked with, the hammer is extending and looking amazing and the acan is feeding beautifully. 

I picked up a few more pieces including a bubblegum digi, purple poci or stylo, new torch and some utter chaos zoas. Also a clown who’s decided to host my filter. Unsure if he’s smashed by too much flow or just feeling good there. Any thoughts?

Sadly the clown goby had to go as fast as he came due to a lot of sps nipping which was not going to fly. 

IMG_8610.jpeg

IMG_8608.jpeg

IMG_8611.jpeg

IMG_8612.jpeg

IMG_8618.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It’s been a minute! Tank is looking great. Added a PC Rainbow, a random acro of some kind (top right) which is encrusting really well, a blue acro that might be a tri colour, and a few more zoas. Really happy with how it’s progressing and seeing great growth across the board.

IMG_8732.jpeg

• Like 1