Top Shelf Aquatics

what are good products to dose for calcium?

BubbleTrouble

BubbleTrouble

What are some good products to dose for calcium? My full list of tests is included in case that is any consideration!

I don't want to start dosing without really understanding what I am doing so any advice is appreciated 🙂

tests.JPG

Yeah, your calcium result is low.  Have you retested to make sure that it wasn't a test anomaly?  If you confirm low calcium, then I'd check your newly mixed saltwater to see if it is also low in calcium.  It would be unusual for calcium to be consumed faster than alkalinity, so I suspect either a test error or your newly mixed saltwater is low too.  You might wish to change brands of salt mix versus dosing elements.

If I'm right, I believe that you have a new tank.  I doubt that consumption of elements is actually your problem.  But as far as dosing goes, read this:  https://www.nano-reef.com/articles/beginners/water-parameters-what-to-test-and-when-r40/

There are plenty of acceptable calcium supplements on the market; however, I suspect that you don't need to dose calcium at this point.  Also, I noticed that the recommended ranges of the nutrients (phosphate and nitrate) in the chart that you provided, look a little low.  Phosphate should be at least 0.03ppm to 0.10ppm (with even 0.20ppm being acceptable), and nitrate should be detectable to 10ppm (with even 20ppm sometimes being acceptable).

BubbleTrouble
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Yeah, your calcium result is low.  Have you retested to make sure that it wasn't a test anomaly?  If you confirm low calcium, then I'd check your newly mixed saltwater to see if it is also low in calcium.  It would be unusual for calcium to be consumed faster than alkalinity, so I suspect either a test error or your newly mixed saltwater is low too.  You might wish to change brands of salt mix versus dosing elements.

If I'm right, I believe that you have a new tank.  I doubt that consumption of elements is actually your problem.  But as far as dosing goes, read this:  https://www.nano-reef.com/articles/beginners/water-parameters-what-to-test-and-when-r40/

There are plenty of acceptable calcium supplements on the market; however, I suspect that you don't need to dose calcium at this point.  Also, I noticed that the recommended ranges of the nutrients (phosphate and nitrate) in the chart that you provided, look a little low.  Phosphate should be at least 0.03ppm to 0.10ppm (with even 0.20ppm being acceptable), and nitrate should be detectable to 10ppm (with even 20ppm sometimes being acceptable).

I tested twice with my new Salifert calcium test, both just under the min of 380 ppm. I will test my water from the LFS and see what that comes back as for calcium!

Tank is 1 year and 1 month (Journal tank)

Do you have any recommendations for the phosphate and the nitrates?

42 minutes ago, BubbleTrouble said:

I tested twice with my new Salifert calcium test, both just under the min of 380 ppm.

Generally we use a two-part dosing solution (like ESV B-Ionic).  However, it's possible to just add calcium.  But I still question the water you're getting from your LFS.

47 minutes ago, BubbleTrouble said:

Do you have any recommendations for the phosphate and the nitrates?

For test kits or supplements?  For supplements Brightwell NeoPhos for phosphate and NeoNitro for nitrate.  But it doesn't look like they're a problem right now.

20 hours ago, BubbleTrouble said:

What are some good products to dose for calcium? My full list of tests is included in case that is any consideration!

I don't want to start dosing without really understanding what I am doing so any advice is appreciated 🙂

tests.JPG

Since you're just getting started with your testing and with the data collection, I would test the same sample three times (triplicate) to see if you get variation between the three tests.

If not, then you know there's nothing off with your process.

If so, there's something slightly off with your testing process.   🙂 

I also tend to do this triplicate testing any time I get a surprising test result even though I've been using the same test kits for many years.  Easy peace of mind.

• Thanks 1
BubbleTrouble
9 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Since you're just getting started with your testing and with the data collection, I would test the same sample three times (triplicate) to see if you get variation between the three tests.

If not, then you know there's nothing off with your process.

If so, there's something slightly off with your testing process.   🙂 

I also tend to do this triplicate testing any time I get a surprising test result even though I've been using the same test kits for many years.  Easy peace of mind.

I will do that, thank you!!

10 hours ago, seabass said:

Generally we use a two-part dosing solution (like ESV B-Ionic).  However, it's possible to just add calcium.  But I still question the water you're getting from your LFS.

For test kits or supplements?  For supplements Brightwell NeoPhos for phosphate and NeoNitro for nitrate.  But it doesn't look like they're a problem right now.

Testing water from the LFS - came to 380 ppm. When I next do a water change I will do the triple test as mentioned below and go from there 🙂 thank u for the advice!!

• Like 1