Pod Your Reef

Tossing coral

MrP

I'm trying to convince myself that tossing coral into the trash is okay. I have given away around 30 frags to a few locals. I only have two very small LFS's which are both over 60 miles away and I can't justify the drive with no compensation. No store credit, nothing. 

Before anyone asks "What do you have and will you ship", I've never shipped coral and I'm not really interested in purchasing supplies to do so. 

/rant

That's pretty normal.  Who could possibly know enough people to take ALL of their weedy corals frags?  Nobody.  And those are the most popular corals.  🙂 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

That's pretty normal.  Who could possibly know enough people to take ALL of their weedy corals frags?  Nobody.  And those are the most popular corals.  🙂 

I've tossed plenty of weedy corals over the years but it just feels different to have toss heads of Euphyllia and other slower growing lps corals. 

Well if you do decide to take a chance on shipping, let me know! i know you just said you didn't want to but I just moved to Maine and cant find many fish stores without making a road trip. Breaks my heart. Just took an hour drive today for one anemone 😅

Think of it like plant trimmings; technically you could treat them like cuttings and grow more plants, but there's only so many ivy cuttings anyone wants.

Alternately, think of it like a lump of calcium and food, which it basically is. It's just calcium, food, and time.

Do you have any sort of yard? You could give everything a quick soak in tap water to get most of the salt off, then bury it for the bugs and such to enjoy.